Green Buildup on Copper Pipes: Big issue or not?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SDJ88, Aug 9, 2016.

1. SDJ88

SDJ88 New Member

Looking at a first home and just had the inspection done. You can see in the photos below that there are a few areas with green 'corrosion' near some joints. I'm very new to all this but I've seen some information that says there can be external condensation that builds up causing that, improperly cleaned flux and other causes that seem more serious. I'm just wondering if this is something to be worried about long term for other pipes/joints. I watched my old man replace nearly every inch of copper piping in the house over 20 years due to pinhole leaks, so it's kind of got me on edge.

If it helps, the water test indicated a ph of 8.0, Hardness of 11 mg/l, and Alkalinity of 78 mg/l.

Water Lines Coming off the Boiler.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2020
  2. flapper

flapper Member

green corrosion is from those "seepage leans"; fix the leaks.

SDJ88 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

SDJ88 likes this.