Greater then 5 gpm. cycle stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ToddMiddle

Reaction score
I have a cycle stop valve on a 5hp pump on 2 inch drop pipe in a 10 inch well. I run my homes water off the same system and need to stop the pump from cycling when showering.

Reach4

Reaction score
How fast is it cycling?

Bigger shower head, bigger pressure tank, and maybe shorter showers, would each help if your cycle time is not very short already.

Is that is a big pump. Is it used for irrigation also?

ToddMiddle

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the controls for the shower restrict the flow or is it at the head? I know what I need..Todd

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It could be at either, or BOTH, locations. It depends on the make and model of the shower valve. The shower heads DO usually have a flow restrictor to comply with the mandated maximum rate, but they valve could also be manufactured with narrow ports to limit the flow. The pump is going to cycle any time the supply of water in the tank is depleted and you have to rely on the pump discharge for your flow. Your valve should not be able to flow water as fast as the pump discharges it so the pump will shut off and then immediately restart when the faucet bleeds off the excess pressure. It is a condition that usually signals a pressure tank with too much of a precharge, or NO precharge.

ToddMiddle

Reaction score
Cycle Stop Valve

Your right, mine is a two inch cycle stop valve and there is a minimum flow of 5 gpm. The smaller cycle stop valves work with minimum flows of 1 gpm allowing your pump to stay on and the pressure to remain constant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks