Gravity Irrigation from large tank at 100 feet

Users who are viewing this thread

ltlredwagon

Reaction score
I have a property in a forest area with a 1/2 acre orchard and some surrounding areas requiring irrigation. I currently irrigate by pumping water from a large stream. I am looking into installing one or two large water tanks (perhaps as much as 15,000 gallons) on a hill which is a little over 100 feet above the areas needing irrigation. I also plan to connect the tanks to a sprinkler system which can operate as a "turn it on and run" system to wet down the area as much as possible in the event of a fire.

So as I understand it, tanks at 100+ feet gives me about 40 psi at the area where I will have my valves. From there to my heads it will be fairly flat. I believe that how many heads I can have on a single line depends upon the pipe diameter - greater pipe diameter = greater flow, right? I am using simple impact sprinklers which give specs as roughly 4 GPM at 40 psi. I'm having trouble finding the math on this, that is, flow at 40 psi for pipe diameter X is Y GPM; or: "if you run 1" pipe from a valve on a 150 ft line you could run X number of sprinkler heads on that line"; "if you run 1-1/2 inch pipe from a valve on a 150 foot line you have less friction, greater flow and you could have Y number of sprinkler heads on that line."

Okay, if I'm making any sense, and someone knows a layman's source for such calculations (please, no references to Reynold's number calculations!), please let me know. I know irrigation hydraulics can get fairly complicated, but I'm hoping the calculations on my system can be fairly simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks