Gravel with Vortech tank & Katalox ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Rus S

Reaction score
I've read not to use gravel in my iron filter with Katalox in a Vortech tank, but the one I ordered came with garnet gravel. I haven't added the media yet, so I can go either way, but really want to know what's best.

Reach4

Reaction score
A Vortech tank has a plastic grid across the bottom that lets the flow spread out. Do not use gravel with that. Look into your tank to see if you really have that.
vortech_cutaway.jpg

Rus S

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I have the Vortech screen in the bottom of the tank, along with the permanently attached riser tube. The company I ordered from did not seem too knowledgeable when I asked them about using the gravel with the vortech tank, hence my question here. They said to use the gravel if it came with the system.

Reach4

Reaction score

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL... agreed. understand the way they get their efficiency gains, but I can guess that the gains are in the most extreme circumstances.

Heck, my new F150 with a little V-6 gets 65 MPG (downhill with a tailwind)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks