Gravel in residential softeners?

Users who are viewing this thread

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL! Please stop reading and believing what you read on the internet.

Most of the higher end equipment has gravel underbedding for many reasons, the cheaper systems often times do not.

Many online companies dont like gravel because of the added shipping weight. Many of these companies are simply trying to save $10 so they can be cheaper than the next guy. I dont have time to write a long list of reasons as to why gravel is used, but I will simply say that we do not ship units without gravel unless it is a vortech tank or if the system has the turbulator which cant have gravel.
Reading through the articale, it is full of bad advice and wrong infromation. I would ignore it. The gravel is used partially to fill the dome portion of the tank and to protect the bottom screen. Even the highest quality bottom screens can fail over time, a gravel bed will almost eliminate that potential. It also allows the resin to be used more efficiently since the resin is completely above the screen, not below it and around it. Another reason for not using gravel is to cheat and use smaller, less expensive tanks, again, another way the low end online resellers try to save a few dollars in their dire effort to be the cheapest guy on the internet. It has gotten very pathetic over the past few years to see how far companies will go to be the cheapest. This is one reason why many manufacturers are no longer allowing their equipment to be sold online.
Their is no negative to using gravel other than the additional shipping weight. And if the screen shifts up an inch, lay the tank on its side slightly, push the manifold back in, wow, that was tough. LOL.

Noyzee1

Reaction score
Future Upgrade?

LOL! Please stop reading and believing what you read on the internet.

Most of the higher end equipment has gravel underbedding for many reasons, the cheaper systems often times do not.

Many online companies dont like gravel because of the added shipping weight. Many of these companies are simply trying to save $10 so they can be cheaper than the next guy. I dont have time to write a long list of reasons as to why gravel is used, but I will simply say that we do not ship units without gravel unless it is a vortech tank or if the system has the turbulator which cant have gravel.
Reading through the articale, it is full of bad advice and wrong infromation. I would ignore it. The gravel is used partially to fill the dome portion of the tank and to protect the bottom screen. Even the highest quality bottom screens can fail over time, a gravel bed will almost eliminate that potential. It also allows the resin to be used more efficiently since the resin is completely above the screen, not below it and around it. Another reason for not using gravel is to cheat and use smaller, less expensive tanks, again, another way the low end online resellers try to save a few dollars in their dire effort to be the cheapest guy on the internet. It has gotten very pathetic over the past few years to see how far companies will go to be the cheapest. This is one reason why many manufacturers are no longer allowing their equipment to be sold online.
Their is no negative to using gravel other than the additional shipping weight. And if the screen shifts up an inch, lay the tank on its side slightly, push the manifold back in, wow, that was tough. LOL.

Thanks for the info, Dittohead!
The next logical questions are:
1) Is adding gravel to an existing resin tank a worthy endeavor, especially if changing out the resin anyway?
2) What kind of gravel, and where to get cheaply? How about aquarium gravel? Active carbon?
3) How much should be used for, say, a 10"X40" tank?
My resin tank appears to have plenty of freeboard (empty space) to accommodate gravel...
Cheers,
JIM

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Gravel should be carefully sourced. There are many gravels from unknown sources. Most water treatment companies on the west coast source their gravel from a company near Sacramento. It is NSF certified.

Adding to an existing system is not a bad idea, I have had to do it on many occassions due to other companies equipment allowing tiny amounts of resin fines out of the system and into the application. Just pour it on top, the gravel will automatically go to the bottom during the back wash cycle.

A 10" diameter tank uses .09 Cu/ Feet of gravel to fill the dome. Approximately 10 pounds will do.

Last edited:

Noyzee1

Reaction score
Thank you!
I see that there's a lot of previous discussion about this from about a year or so.
Sorry for not researching it.
I'll plan on putting gravel in there when I replace the resin.
Being in Arizona, we have plenty of that for free (on my acre of property). I'll wash and sanitize it first!;)
Cheers,
JIM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks