Got to know the Plumbing marketing

Users who are viewing this thread

overbuilt

Reaction score
Dear all,

Before I worked at one trading company for one boss, they had done much business with the HD and Low*s. The HD also know our company is one trader. But they insist to do those business with us. One years later , the HD have transfer those business to other new trader. Meanwhile, the original factory contact with the HD directly. But the HD insisit to do the business with other trader. I confuse if the HD do the business with the factory the HD will earn much more money. But why do not they deal with factory directly ?
Now I resigned from the original trading company. I have been worked in the plumbing field over much years. All those years I contact with factory and know what the factory think and need. I found all those factory are eager to push me to sell their goods to other customer. I do not know how to make the decision. Much Chinese trading company invite us to cooperate with them . At other side, much factory hope us to sell those products to Amercian because those products are purchasing by the home depot and lowe's store.
At last I thought out one best conditions. If one American trading company can cooperate with me, there will be much better. One side is I can work in the plumbing sourcing field I like this job. Other side is I can use those factory source.

Need our friends to provide some suggestion how to make decision.

Ralph.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It may be because much of what has been and is being produced is junk, not up to standards and the companys may be wanting someone who can be held accountable.

I just purchased some brass screws from Low*s and when I went to use them the heads snapped off with very little pressure. They are junk.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
After making one part in a factory, there is more work to do, before the part will be worth more than its cost of manufacturing.

Other parts have to "come together" -- like a kit -- to make a working device like a faucet, a drain, a valve. When people open a Chinese plumbing kit to assemble, some parts are missing. One big loss when you are at customer house and wanting your money (your pay) to get paid.

Your role is to solve this one problem. Organizing people, so what they say is in the bag is really in the bag. Every time. Thousands of times. All the time. Consistent Word is High Quality Word; makes money.

Then, to help more, make instructions with diagrams which any child can follow. Big letters, big sketches. Print two and put in the bag.

-david

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Quality

Rather than pull this post as not relevant to the goals of the forum, I will add a reply for our friend Ralph.

The LACK of QUALITY may spell doom for the Chinese industry. It may surprise you to learn that as big as China is, there are billions of workers in other countries who will be willing to work for even less than you pay your workers. ( India, S. Africa, etc.) All that is lacking is the capital and some government backing. That could be coming soon.

SO, if China wishes to preserve its market share, they must find the revelation which brought Japan up from being a toy trinket country to the industrial giant it is today: QUALITY. Right now, China is SEVERELY missing the boat on quality of good, and there will be consequences.

overbuilt

Reaction score
I found all those guys complain those Chinese goods is junk. The quality is confused. I suppose you are keeping your feeling in last century. Last century Chinese have not government backing and right instructions. So they can not do what they want to do. However, China is the mainly plumbing field in the world including the US.
You know Low*'s and The home depot have much office in China. Every year they purchased over ten billion dollors goods from China.
American standard, Moen, Delta, Grohe Kolher and so on are have factory and agent to help them source goods from China. I know the quality is well. In my hourse, I use American standard BASIN and China own band faucet. I found it work efficiantly.
I am working as sourcing for over so much years. I know the world plumbing market. Generally it is one trend more and more American dealer will set office in China. As far as I know, some American trading company invite us to join their company. However, Some company is not I want. So I refuse.
From my personal events, I found much more company set the office to sourcing prumbing goods is the RIGHT CHOICE.
Such as LDR, EZ-flo, Danco, QVC, Masco, Jecuzzi, interlinebrand are have some vendors to supply goods over much years. Althought those goods print MADE IN TAIWAN. In fact, most of all are made in China mainland. Because I have worked in trading company over 4 years, so I know those trading company factory and resources.
Those company supply much plumbing components to the home depot, Bed bath and beyong, the *******, and costdo and Low*'s store.
I think you should buy those plumbing products from those stores. Because those goods Cheap, and quality is what your want.

So please change your thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
welcome overbuilt !

Everything you say above is good and valid. The posts made by other people above in posts #2, #3, and #4 are also good and valid.

To be truthful, all those guys (including me too) complain when local (US-made) product is low-quality, too! We call it "crap" and we have always called it so. Millions of examples can be given, and older people can remember even more examples of bad stuff made here. In past decades, we had three levels of quality of product made locally: A. high, B. medium, C, low. That was then, and now the situation is different.

In the most recent decades, products made in China have been replacing the US-made crap. That is why you hear this message every time you appear. Low quality in the product. Also, in addition to this, what I said above was "you so far away, that the only way to get missing screws and small parts is to open an entire new kit (so twice the price)." I would like to have twice as many spare parts as necessary, when those spare parts are critical, not standard size, and cannot be found anywhere else except in one more kit made by China manufacturer. I think that in the past, when US made product was low quality stuff, the parts missing were easier to obtain, as separate parts, almost just lying around on every bench and in every toolbox. So you being far away means that specific problem is now bigger than before. Missing parts is time waste; loses money fast.

At first, the replacement crap was made in Japan, then later in Korea, but those two cultures have made improvement and now they cannot make low-cost product, so they can only be competitive if they make medium-quality or high-quality product. Similar thinking applies to Taiwan.

The biggest companies in the world are all doing business in China, and they all have the problems described in this thread. What you do next is your decision. If you can figure out a way to organize people and production practices to do better with less waste in time, you win. After you make it happen, you have stable and secure business.

david

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would point to the recent incident....the SECOND time in 10 years, where several people DIED from the poison glycol put in toothpaste by unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers who substituted it for food grade glycerin, to make themselves a quick buck. The Chinese government continues to thwart efforts of our FDA to track and uncover these problems.

I say again, that if China does not get the act together, they will shoot the goose that laid the golden egg.

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I married an Asian lady, so I am not anti-Asian. I am anti-crap. Sorry, but most plumbing stuff out of China is crap.
Kordts

know this was a long time ago, so I hope things have improved... I was in China on a tour in the early 80's. At a hotel that wasn't totally finished yet. Had 4 elevators...rarely was one working. The chrome was peeling off of the faucet on the sink. The building had settled so the doors were hard to close. This was not even finished yet (still doing the interior finishing on the upper most floors).

Yes, China can make some good products, but their quality control is not up to world standards. A good portion of what they do build for export was designed here. I doubt there are more than a handful of factories that have earned and ISO9000 or higher rating. My brother-in-law used to work for Kodak as a mechanical engineer. The stories he told about trying to get a factory built, and then produce a quality, consistent product were truely enlightening.

As simple a thing as a nail...buy a box from HD made in China, and one out of 4 will have the head fall off or bend on the way in. Search out and use some made here (if you can), and that doesn't happen. Buy a hack saw blade and see how it works...the tempering is wrong and it shatters most of the time.

I try to find things made elsewhere, but sometimes you just can't. Luckily, it often doesn't cost much to buy a new one. Hassle is that it doesn't really help the environment much.__________________
Jim DeBruycker
Important note - I'm not a pro

icon10.gif
china ----capitolism gone nuts.....
Anything goes in CHINA...its is capitolism on Steroids.......

quality , integrity, morality have all been throw out
the window....

you certainly dont want to buy any kind of generic
drugs that have been made in China.....
odds are they are all counterfiet....

Most of the cheap little tools you see for a dollar or
two are made by prison slaves.....

They will literally do anything for a buck.......

in one article I read.....

they keep prisoners on death row untill some asian millionairre
needs a new set of kidneys, liver, lungs , heart or
whatever....

and when the call is made ...and the money is in the bank.....
they find a compatible match among the
death row prisoners and the fellow is taken out
and shot in the back of the head....

his organs are immediatley harvested and
sent to a near-by hospital and put in the fellow
who bought the spare parts... for a 100k or so.....

Now why havent we thought of doing that???

you got to hand it to those people......

a very enterpriseing bunch of capitolists.....

no morals what-so -ever...

so in china....

if you have an extremely rare blood type,
dont get in trouble with the law.

Last edited by master plumber mark : Today at 05:41 PM

from mpmark: "you certainly dont want to buy any kind of generic
drugs that have been made in China.....

odds are they are all counterfiet...."

According to a report I read recently , 75% of all vitamins, and at least 50% of all drugs, in this country, are made in China. They cover the trail by moving them through numerous intermedaries, so you can't really tell what's what.

Jimbo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks