Goofy Design - Yardworks Quick-Connect

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The wife recently decided to convert from an old brass quick-connect (QC) system to the Gardena style Yardworks. The old system utilized an O-ring seal inside the female end whereas the Gardena/Yardworks system places the O-ring on the male end. That said, the Yardworks female QC utilizes an O-ring for the flow-stop feature.

Herein is the design problem and the "what were they thinking" question... When the male end is inserted into the female QC, it depresses a plastic valve that unseats the O-ring to enable flow. The water flows around the O-ring through a narrow annular space between it and the washer that seals between the hose-end and the QC. Any engineer worth his/her salt knows that flow over a curved surface creates lift like an airplane wing (airfoil). This "lift" stretches the O-ring allowing water pressure to get underneath it, and the O-ring inadvertently seals against the inside of the washer.

There are two possible work-arounds that don't disable the auto-stop feature.

The first involves replacing the washer with one that has a larger inside dimension so that there is a larger annular space between it and the O-ring. This reduces the velocity of the water flow which in turn reduces (airfoil) lift. The problem with this is at some point with large enough velocity, the O-ring will still be lifted out of its seat and without the washer to stop it, the O-ring gets pushed downstream, completely out of its seat. The QC then needs to be disassembled and the O-ring reseated.

The second workaround is to replace the O-ring with a fatter, smaller ID one so that it is stretched more to hold it more firmly in its seat. These two workarounds could be combined.

Of course, there is the option to remove the auto-stop completely.

For any engineer that feels they need to "defend" this design, I can take pictures to prove how poor this design is.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I have never found quick connects are of any help. The style that you mention that shuts the water off, trying to disconnect and especially connecting and there is water pressure behind it, you'll get a nice cool shower.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You can always kink the hose before making/breaking the connection if your QC gives you a shower.

I do like the quick connect and the auto-stop feature on most QC systems. I have more than a 100 feet of hose on each reel and it beats having to walk twice that distance to turn off and on the water at the hose bib. I have one hose reel on wheels and combine them for extra distance. Of course, one could kink the hose to stop the flow but I seem to get wet when trying to do that since you need 3 hands, 1 to hold the kink, 1 to hold the end of the hose, and 1 to turn the threads.

Also, my pressure washer does not take well to air in the line so with having the QC, it keeps the line full (free of air). There are inline ball valves that one can place at the end. In the past, I used a Y with two ball valves so I could purge the air.

My old QC system never had any problem with the auto-stop. The only problem was to buy more of them as they were discontinued locally and I'd rather not gamble on getting matching parts online. Also, the O-Rings were starting to leak and removing them requires considerable effort since they are internal.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention... The Yardworks supplied lime green washer in addition to having a smaller ID, is thicker and softer than some other washers. Being thick and soft means that the tighter it is compressed, the smaller the ID becomes and subsequently, the smaller the annular space between the washer and the O-ring increasing water velocity. Replacing the washer with one that does not deform as much can help. Do note that some garden hose male ends are made of thin stamped metal that exert more point-pressure against the washer. Also, those thin stamped metal ends are prone to getting bent, thus requiring they be over-tightened to keep them from leaking.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Oh, wait... there is more... The soft lime green washer also deforms from the water pressure in the downstream direction which in turn reduces the ID even further. This is a principle seen on BLFC buttons to keep GPM consistent across different pressures.

As I questioned, What were they thinking?"...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Here you go, all brass and not cheap. I have bought three of the ELEY hose reels. One fo rme and one for each son. They are fantastic quality, there is an expansion adapter so you can get over two hundred feet on it. On one purchase they were offering a free set of brass quick connects. I think I still have a few. I know I've used some for my pressure washer. Like you say, I squeeze the hose and pop off the hose at the pressure washer to roll the machine. Silicone grease makes it easy on the O rings.

I checked there web site and they do not ship to Canada. :(
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/products/garden-hose-quick-connect-system?ref=yotpo_93

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Here you go, all brass and not cheap.
They don't have auto-stop. It is the auto-stop that this thread is all about.

As mentioned, I can lobotomize the auto-stop on the Yardworks. Mind you Yardworks have a smaller ID on the male end.

I see they use an O-ring to seal against the garden hose end which is better than a washer so long as the hose end is in good shape. I've seen some male hose-ends bent out of shape from abuse.

I kind of like the Eley 2 wheel cart design. Parking brake would be nice on the 4 wheel cart. I have considered a parking brake or replacing the front wheels on mine with weights so it doesn't move or tip so easily when pulling out the hose. The Eley looks a bit top heavy and likely to tip over when pulling out the hose. Too high and they are tippy... too low and you have to bend over more to crank it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks