Goodman Furnace won't fire

Users who are viewing this thread

bk82388

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Hoping for some advice to maybe fix my 4 year old Goodman furnace. It is a propane fueled furnace.

Basically, I get error code E0 which is system lockout after trying to ignite 3 times and failing. The furnace will respond to the thermostat, begin the process of turning on, the ingnitor will glow bright orange, and then it cycles down, no flame no nothing. It does that 3 times before you get the error code. Last fall I noticed it would go through the process, light the flame for a few seconds, cycle down, and then on the second try would fire and run correctly.

My uneducated assumption from reading is it may be the flame sensor...I tried cleaning it but that did not fix it so I ordered some that will arrive tomorrow. Is there something else I should be checking?

My central AC ran fine through the summer, not sure if that rules out some things. I have attached a video of the first attempt for the furnace to run.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Reach4

Reaction score
My uneducated assumption from reading is it may be the flame sensor...
A flame sensor would not be the problem if there was no flame to sense. So I am thinking that the propane is not making it to the igniter. I am not a pro.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
No propane going thru gas valve. Is the gas shut off on is the gas valve set to on are you out of propane. If all this is good then 24 volts should be sent to gas valve shortly after ignitor glows... you will probably hear a click. If you hear a click it's most likely the gas valve

Fitter30

Reaction score
Bad hot surface igniter even if it glows and if doesn't pull the correct amperage as valve will not open the gas valve. When replacing it don't touch element with bare fingers. Appliance parts house might have one if you take yours in. Might find a crack in the element.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bad hot surface igniter even if it glows and if doesn't pull the correct amperage as valve will not open the gas valve. When replacing it don't touch element with bare fingers. Appliance parts house might have one if you take yours in. Might find a crack in the element.
If I suspected the ignitor was not getting hot enough to light the gas, I would stick a flame there as the pilot should be trying to light. This could be a long lighter, or a pencil tip on a propane torch turned low. This assumes the space is readily reachable.
s-l64.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Professional , plumber, amateur at heating my pool heater once the igniter glows hear the click and main gas comes on . not a pilot not sure his furnace starts a pilot first.
but yea check that gas is coming to the gas control valve is step 1

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks