Good Water Softener Seller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike U.

Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently on a quest to replace a 24 year old water softener system with all new equipment. Definitely wanting to do the installation myself. I've spent the last week or so absorbing as much knowledge as I could on the subject. This forum has contributed large amounts to my newly amassed knowledge, and for that, I am very grateful. "The Ultimate Guide To Buying A Water Softener" from Aquatell has also helped me understand many things and I would recommend it to anyone. Anyway, I'm now at the point where something actually has to be purchased and I'm pretty sure I can make the proper decisions. So I have an idea of WHAT to buy but I can't find WHERE to buy it from. I've contacted many local companies and only one of them would sell me equipment without them installing it. The problem was that they would only sell their Clack valves if they did the installation. Otherwise, it was a cheaper valve with a timer. I'm now wading through the depths of online sellers in an attempt to find a known good company that sells full systems with Fleck or Clack parts. My search has been relatively fruitless thus far. Can anyone here recommend an online seller or any companies in Florida that they've purchased from? Any and all responses are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

Treeman

Reaction score
Do you have any professional plumber friends that might assist you buying a softener from a local jobber?

In Michigan, Ferguson sells to the public. I find that Ferguson tends to be expensive and sometimes difficult to work with. Good luck with your quest.

Last edited:

Mike U.

Reaction score
I do actually have a relative who's a plumber. I was under the impression that most local softener businesses wanted to install systems themselves only. Do you think they would be more willing to sell to plumbers than normies? There's actually a Ferguson outfit down the street from me but I've had a couple bad experiences with them in the past with other things. Like you said, "difficult to work with" but I will look into them as an option.

Treeman

Reaction score
By "jobber" I mean the wholesale suppliers that are only available to the professional trades people. Not retail softener businesses.
Maybe Gorman or WinSupply??

Treeman

Reaction score
Depending how close of friend he is and type of plumber, I recommend you tiptoe carefully broaching this subject with him. In my older years, I have learned to respect the trades people and I try very hard not to take advantage of them. Imagine how it might be that "friends" come out of the woodwork only when they want a favor? His time and hard earned expertise is worth $$$, so I avoid doing this as a freebie. I have skills and time that I "barter" with my trades friends (sometimes cash), again always being mindful not to take advantage of them. And, if there is a warranty problem, you might be out of luck. Things to keep in mind. Just my unsolicited advice.

Last edited:

Mike U.

Reaction score
Yea, I know what you mean as I also have certain handyman and computer skills that tend to get taken advantage of by friends. The friend of mine is actually my uncle, though. I do however spend most of my time in this "woodwork" you speak of. So much so that when I do appear, any family members that see me are so excited that they're usually more than happy to help! Kidding aside, I would never ask for freebies from anyone, family or otherwise. He wouldn't mind though as he gets to flex which would make him happy. That being said, I'm still searching for an online seller that I can order from myself and would rather not even ask anyone for help. I think this is only the second time in my life I've even asked the internet for help. Anyways... have you (or anyone) heard anything good or bad about ordering from Aquatell in the US?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks