Good ole Venting Question

Users who are viewing this thread

kheflw

Reaction score
Amazing how many things I've read in this forum, but never posted. So here's a first.
Gutted my downstairs main bathroom, put a nice design together based on the old plumbing thinking it would be easier that way. Now as I read all of the venting posts in here, I find that it was always plumbed incorrectly, or at least I think it is. I will try to explain clearly.

First the old Bathtub. It was drained into a stack from the floor above, that tees off to a vent through the roof. But that stack drained the upstairs Shower, so as I understand, that is a wet vent. The tub was connected to the stack in the basement, that leads to the main horizontal stack, upstream to where an upstairs toilet hits the horizontal stack. So, I'm now installing my double vanity where that Tub was, and I planned to hit that vertical stack in the wall, where it conveniently comes down from the upstairs shower and outside vent. BTW, I looked at where the vent tees off the drain and goes up, but all I see are very neatly arranged 2 inch fittings. There is no straight pipe to break into, otherwise I could just go up to the ceiling and tie into it.

Now the old Sink drain. It drained itself directly into a main 3 inch stack from upstairs. This stack has a sink and toilet draining down it. Pretty sure that is not cool. Again, I saw this setup, and said well that will be easy, just plumb my new Bathtub right where that old sink was draining.

So first off, please tell me that I'm correct in this assumption that these two things were plumbed incorrectly and that I should rethink how I'm doing this.

My option is this. The ceiling is out of this new bathroom, so I have access to that 10 inch joist area above. I had planned to bring a vent for my new shower up into that area, nothing was plumbed from that shower area so I had to do this. Where that main stack comes down through the bathroom it comes from upstairs in a wall that I can get into. So I can bring a new 2 or 3 inch down next to that stack, and tie the all three fixtures into it, Sink, Bath, and Shower. I would then attach the new pipe to the old Stack in the attic above all fixtures.

Sound like a plan?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Hef

Attachments

• Capture14 no storage up.JPG
    Capture14 no storage up.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 149

BruceL

Reaction score
IANAP but if I understand correctly it sounds like you need to add a new vent to bring that up to code. But you only need a 1 1/2" vent for the bathroom group.

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks