Good new tub for larger taller people, or refinish?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
I'm on a ten year quest to find a bath tub that will work well for me!

When I gutted the bathroom ten years ago, I kept the vintage American Standard tub, because I could not find anything that was as good of a size and shape for me. I'm 6'3", and I can completely straighten my legs out in the tub because at the sump (bottom) it measures 46"! I recently measured and looked at the new American Standard Cambridge tub (60 x 32), and that tub is only 41" at the sump. I also looked at a Hydro Systems tub (60 x 32), and that measures 40" at the sump. I do not like this! It's VERY hard to find a more comfortable tub than the original AS tub.

At the time ten year ago, since the finish was worn out and I wanted to change to a biscuit color, I opted to try a bath tub liner. I've had nothing but problems with that, with water getting between the liner and the tub, which of course is a very common problem.

I recently talked to an artist turned bathtub refinisher. He claims he can use some kind of acid to etch / prepare the surface of the original tub to get off all the glossy remaining finish, and use special coatings made by NAPCO in Chicago that according to him is pretty tough and will last for years without peeling.

Does anyone have any experiences with this, to know if anyone makes a 60 x 32 or 60 x 30 tub that is at least 23" wide inside, and at least 46" long at the bottom of the tub (sump).

And does anyone know if it's possible to refinish an old cast iron / porcelain tub in a way that it will last (hold up) for 10 or more years?

Thank You,

Lee

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there any way you can make a bit more room for a longer tub? When I remodeled my master bath, I reworked things to put in a 6' tub verses the more standard 5' one. I would have really liked a 78" one (6.5'), but that would have been too much additional work!

IMHO, nothing you can do in place will be as durable as a factory, porcelain finish.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Is there any way you can make a bit more room for a longer tub? When I remodeled my master bath, I reworked things to put in a 6' tub verses the more standard 5' one. I would have really liked a 78" one (6.5'), but that would have been too much additional work!

IMHO, nothing you can do in place will be as durable as a factory, porcelain finish.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Jim,

One thing I was wondering about, I hope this doesn't sound too idiotic, was if maybe I could get a tub that was like 66" x 32" and somehow leave more of the flange parts in the walls, if that makes any sense what I'm saying. I was wondering if maybe some of the 66" tubs would have bigger actual bathing wells then the 60 x 32 models. I could look at the specs on that, but I don't know if they could be made to fit.

And, I agree with you about the porcelain finish being by far the best. What I'm wondering is whether this Napco finish he's proposing would be "good enough." I also saw one place that sounds like they would do a new porcelain finish complete with baking it on, but you would have to take the existing tub out and ship it to them, and then back to you, and then reinstall it! That sounds like WAY too much expense and work.

Lee

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks