Going crazy! Can't stop leaks in Clayton toilets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Vfarber

Reaction score
I have 2 Clayton toilets that are about six years old. They both started making noise from refilling so I replaced the flappers with the Universal toto flapper and they continued to leak. I replaced the fill valves and they are still leaking. I suspect I need to replace the flush valves but it seems crazy that both toilets would have the same issue. I feel like the universal flappers aren't sealing . Has anyone noticed issues with the universal flappers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cst784-tan-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the water level is about 1/2 inch below the overflow after a flush and flush slowly after.

The chain should have just a bit of slack.

Try feeling the valve seat, and rub it down with a cloth on your finger. Consider putting a light coat of silicone grease on the seat or float where the two come in contact.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah. What Reach said. Lots of times it's the chain is too tight if the flapper doesn't seat. It's not likely to be the flush valve itself.

And replacing the fill valves doesn't hurt anything, but it likely wasn't the problem. If they were malfunctioning, the water level in the tank would be overflowing into the top of the overflow riser on the flush valve. Where else would it go?

If there IS a crack in the flush valve, sometimes you can find it by turning off the water and leaving it overnight to see how low the water level drops, and look at the flush valve there. But likely isn't it.

Try adjusting the chain, and on the Claytons you can just use the plain old THU331S flapper, assuming it was a 1.6gpf toilet. That's the flapper that came in your toilet. That flapper is made by Korky and available pretty much everywhere as Korky 2021. For example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-TOTO-G-Max-2021CM/202666003

It's a buck cheaper at that big online retailer we don't usually talk about here.

If you're struggling, post a photo of the inside of the tank. Often we can diagnose a lot of stuff from a photo, believe it or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks