Glenwall toilet and weight capacity

Users who are viewing this thread

g203

Reaction score
We are replacing our 1965 glenwall wall hung toilet with a new AS elongated bowl and I'm concerned about the weight capacity. We have already replaced another glenwall last month with an elongated bowl in our basement and have noticed the toilet slightly flexing away from the wall when in use. It makes a creaking and slow thunking sound for 10-30 seconds after someone gets off the toilet. There was no way to reinforce the framing around the carrier when it was replaced. The original glenwall toilet did not make this sound or flex away from the wall. Is this normal for a replacement?

I have also read online that the maximum capacity for residential wall hung toilets is 300 lb and that toilets can break or crack if over weighted. We have a family member coming to stay with us who is over 350 pounds. I'm concerned that we will have problems. The only solution I've read about are add-on toilet supports that are mostly used in institutional settings. The only residential solution appears to be the Big John toilet support. It is quoted as increasing the carrier capacity from 350-1000 lbs. Is this a viable option?

Attachments

• 3453_2.jpg
    3453_2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 373

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with the supports. As long as it can be 'attached' securely, I see no reason why it couldn't do what it says.

As to mounting the toilet, you can only tighten three of the four bolts, then the forth one just gets snugged up. If the wall and toilet were perfect, you could tighten all of them, but that almost never happens. If you try to tighten all four, you tend to crack the toilet. Someone that does this every day would likely have more info to share and fill in what I may have missed.

glenwall-picture-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks