Glacier Bay install

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Customer had a bunch of work for me lined up for last Thursday. Pretty straightforward stuff, trying not to overspend, shall we say. The new toilet he picked out for the back bathroom was a chair-height Glacier Bay, dual flush job. 215 583.
Things went well, I pulled the old one, the flange wasn't broken for a change, and I installed it and everything was looking good. Till it started leaking down the tank-bowl bolt on the left side. I went through the usual motions of tightening and retightening, changing out the washers for others in my van, etc.
Nothing was working for me. I looked at the original rubber washers and noticed that the tank hole was leaving an imprint in the washer far from center. Like tangent to the hole in the washer itself. After using up all available options, I headed to Ace and started ransacking all the little drawers in the hardware dept. An associate showed up and I explained what I was looking for. In a couple of minutes he came back with their version of a Kohler tank bolt set. The washers in the set were robust and beveled, what I was looking for, and worth a try. That's what did it. Had to tighten it 2-3 times after the install, but it finally stopped leaking.
Two hour set-back in the middle of a busy day. Sux, but it happens.

glacier-bay-toilet-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks