GFI tripped, but another circuit now has open and 30v AC on hot

Users who are viewing this thread

American Citizen

Reaction score
Hello:
I had a friend purchase a Klein RT250 circuit tester, and they tripped one of the outlets in the kitchen, to see if it was GFI protected, although it did NOT have the typical GFI outlet with the reset button. The tester showed that the GFI breaker did indeed trip and the voltage dropped to 0 volts. However taking the tester to another outlet in the kitchen immediately brought up red on the tester, with it claiming that an open ground existed, and 30 vac was on the hot. Is this normal, after a GFI tripping? Why would the ground go to an open?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
So where is the GFCI? In the breaker panel?

First check that the circuit breaker if it tripped or not. If this is an old home it may have only two wires, hot and neutral. A three wire, homes built since the sixty's will be three wire, hot, neutral and ground (green or bare copper wire). I wouldn't worry about the voltage since these little testers are very high impedance and may be reading stray voltage on the neutral wire. The kitchen may have two 20 amp circuits on the main counter sharing the neutral.

Last edited:

Costamesael

Reaction score
Professionals can help you avoid all the problems and provide a resource that makes your home function effectively and to help you solve your circuit breaker and electrical system issues

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks