gfi not reseting

Users who are viewing this thread

bbxrider

Reaction score
while power washing some over spray hit an outdoor gfi receptacle, causing it to trip
it has now been a day and lots of sun on the gfi recp and it still won't reset.
its not the circuit, the breaker is not popped and final proof is there are other loads upstream of the gfi that are working.
can a gfi get completely fried from brief direct water contact?
thanks, bob

Last edited:

bbxrider

Reaction score
getting new gfi

thanks for the replies, will replace
but must say i'm surprised to hear a gfi is as 'fragile' as a cell phone
since they are typically put in positions where they could be near active
water use, baths and kitchens, i would have thought they have
some protection against an occasional, and light contact with water.

R

Rancher

Try drying it out with a hair dryer, if this GFCI was located outdoors, and I'm assuming it was due to the power washing and water, it should have been covered by an approved waterproof receptacle cover.

Rancher

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
hj said:
Your cell phone would be, why not a GFCI which has similar circuitry.

I found that out the hard way. Was visiting friends in the Wetmore Valley of Colorado. They weren't home when I got there and my cell phone was running out of power. They had an outdoor receptacle, so I started charging my phone--and promptly forgot about it. At some point, it rained. My charger burned up, and my battery could no longer hold a charge after that. Thank goodness, I was ready to renew my contract with Verizon. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks