GFCI Will Not Reset

Users who are viewing this thread

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Post #7
Are you sure an electrician wired that receptacle? The hot wires wrapped in the wrong direction is a tell-tale sign that it may not have been an electrician. Any real electrician would know that.
Pictures reversed. See post 13.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect the second photo in #7 was into a mirror. I say that, because I think the cellphone camera is also in the image.

Wpollock

Reaction score
So when testing each down stream receptacle for resistance from hot to ground and common to ground, what level resistance should I see if everything is ok?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am tempted to say <10 meg would be interesting. But that in itself would not cause tripping. <25Kohm could. You tell us-- what is the lowest you see? The ideal ohmmeter for this would be a high voltage ohmmeter called a megger, but most don't have one.

Wpollock

Reaction score
Yes an electrician did install it and correctly. I mistakenly forgot to state that the picture showing the overheated side of the plug was taken using a mirror and cell phone so it appeared reverse. However, the same electrician's company installed this receptacle and did leave the hot side terminal screw completely loose which I hope caused the issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
And I need to pull each receptacle and test between terminals?
No. Isolate the daisy chain from the GFCI. Measure resistance anywhere (neutral to ground) and (hot to ground), using your multimeter.

If high resistance for the whole daisy chain, this test did not turn up anything. This is two resistance measurements at this point.

If low/lowish resistance for the whole , split the chain in two. Test each half.

Measuring the resistance hot to neutral is not going to measure what would trip a a GFCI.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks