GFCI on split outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian2147

Reaction score
How do I add a GFCI for dishwasher from a split receptacle Sharing a neutral. They are on a 2 pole 20amp arc F breaker. Is it possible in a double gang box to pigtail the neutral and have the dishwasher and neutral in the “line“ of the gfci and on a another Receptacle have the garbage disposal neutral. Is it ok to have a 15 switch for the garbage disposal that is on a 20 amp breaker. The plug that’s been there for 30 years Was a 15 amp. I’ve heard arguments for both sides, any input would be greatly appreciated .

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
The original plan sounds fine. A GFCI can't share a downstream neutral but can be fed from a shared neutral. In this case you won't be using the "LOAD" GFCI terminals so all works fine. You are required to pigtail the neutral and not daisy-chain to the receptacles. Google MWBC GFCI for examples.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks