Getting ready to install new tub-questions

Users who are viewing this thread

BJ James

Reaction score
Hopefully tomorrow I will be ready to install my new tub as part of a complete bath reno. I have the tub, a MAAX Newtown Whirlpool unit - I believe it's fibreglass, I have a drain/overflow kit, have my hacked up ledger board up(had to hack it up for hose clearance), and a couple bags of sandmix, which I am returning tomorrow in favour of mortar mix.

Anyways, here's the questions:
1) the drain kit uses 1 1/2" ABS pipe. The old tub had a brass tube that went down to a 1 1/2" ABS slip joint and then on to the P-trap.
I do have some limited access to the drain from a finished basement below. The p-trap is not going to be lined up, so I am guessing the correct thing to do is cut off the existing P-trap, dry fit a new one with whatever pieces I need to make things line up, set the tub, and glue everything up. It would have been nice to have extra bit of wiggle room the slip joint gives. Is there any way to use one in this application?

2) any great tips or suggestions on installing this tub and plumbing?

Thanks,
BJ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Two ways to approach it.
1. Install the tub AND the waste/overflow unit. THEN install the "P" trap to fit it.
2. If the drain has a push/pull seal, set the tub and then "angle" the tee to line up with the drain opening and offset the overflow as needed to line up with the tub hole.

BJ James

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I may not have explained correctly though.(Or I may not be reading the reply correctly)

I will be installing the waste/overflow on the tub before sliding it in. I will have a short piece of pipe going down through the floor to hook up to the drain/p trap. I was really wondering if it's normal practise to glue all the ABS together with out using some sort of slip nut joint like the old tub had. Know what I mean? As in the old tub had a brass waste tube that was 1 1/2" OD going into a slip nut joint on top of the trap. I would have liked to use a similar arrangement, but the 1 1/2" ID ABS required for this tubs drain kit doesn't allow me to use one.
Is my only option to glue everything? And is that normal/acceptable?

Thanks,
BJ

Plumbermurrieta

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbermurrieta.info
The biggest challenge in installing a new bathtub is getting the tub in and out of the bathroom where it will be installed. This may require opening up a wall, which adds a fair bit of complexity to this task.
Before you install a new bathtub the first thing you will need to do is remove the old one. Your old bathtub is probably located between two walls with the plumbing work located on one of these walls. In most cases you will be able to simply disconnect the plumping and pull the tub straight out once you break the caulking seal. In a few cases you will need to remove the tub directly through the wall itself because of lack of room to maneuver the tub in the bathroom.

BJ James

Reaction score
You mean I have to take the old tub out before installing a new one?

T'ank you Captain Obvious.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are two kinds of waste and overflow drains. One uses schedule 40 pipe and fittings which glue together, the other uses 1 1/2" o.d. tubing with slip nuts. They are completely different, but neither is "better" than the other. If you want a "trip lever" drain operation you WILL use the tubular style, however. The glue together one is more amenable to offsetting to make the connection to the drain easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks