Getting closer: pH, hardness, and UV setup

Users who are viewing this thread

rayjustray

Reaction score
Did a lot of asking and searching, and I think I'm close to figuring out the configuration I need to install. The well has 3/4" CPVC coming out of it, but since the closet and pipe routing is a mess, I'm going to redo it all with 1" from the well tank through the UV light and then neck it back down to 3/4" to where it splits off to the rest of the house. I think that should give me plenty of flow to let the calcite and softener do it's job.

1) 5810SXT 12" x 54" pH neutralizer
2) 5810SXT 12" x 54" softener
3) 10 gpm UV sterilizer (still not sure what brand to get on this one)

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

My well provides 11 gpm, I think that's enough to support backwashing the tanks as long as I stagger the schedules?

The basic water test I got is below. I sent out for a more comprehensive test, but that one hasn't come back yet. Ignore the bacteria result, the well was already chlorinated and lab tests came back negative.
Well Water Test.jpg

rayjustray

Reaction score
Lets wait for the real water test, this test doesn't give us a lot to work with.

Well that last water test they came in and did seems to have disappeared, I've not gotten any responses on the results and it's been two weeks. What are some other places I can get a water test done?

rayjustray

Reaction score
Hardness I have, at 5 grains, and lead at 0.0110 mg/L, and TDS at 211 without the 50 micron filter installed.

Would finding manganese or arsenic significantly change my treatment plan? Someone mentioned that the softener would pull low quantities of those metals out of my water anyway (not sure if that's accurate).

Reach4

Reaction score
Would finding manganese or arsenic significantly change my treatment plan? Someone mentioned that the softener would pull low quantities of those metals out of my water anyway (not sure if that's accurate).
True for manganese.
I don't know for lead. People seem to not want to come out and say that, but they also don't say that a softener does not remove lead. Maybe they would say off-the-record. 0.0110 mg/L corresponds to 11 ppb lead

It's interesting that you had those numbers already. It sounds like you did get a nice comprehensive water test.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
A specific condition may require one method of treatment, but the treatment required for that condition can change if some other compound is also present in the water.

Ditttohead's comment implies the prior test results are inadequate but didn't indicate which further specific additional numbers will be necessary. Since he favours and recommends National labs Watercheck (link provided in post # 5), I expect any of their tests will provide the comprehensive information needed to provide an appropriate diagnosis and recommendation.

Preference is generally given if the lab test is current, comprehensive and the sample is raw. The prior result suggests the sample tested had been treated through some type of filter. Filtering may cause enough change so the test results may not be reliable to represent the true conditions requiring treatment.

rayjustray

Reaction score
The image I posted was of my first test, done by a not so thorough home inspector who missed some expensive problems around the house, and yes he just took it from a kitchen faucet, so the water had run through a 50 micron filter first. The follow on test was done with the filter removed, but didn't change much, image is attached below. I was told it would be a much more thorough test, but it wasn’t, but at least the guy didn’t try to sell me $10K worth of proprietary water treatment system.

9C30C500-7321-4066-B16C-B4DA38E3B444.jpeg

I don't mind paying for another water test, but is another $200 test going to give me any value-added info if I'm putting in a single stage 5 micron filter with a pH neutralizer and softener?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
In the OP, you indicated the initial test was basic but said that a comprehensive test had been sent out. Although you said in #4 the comprehensive test had disappeared (assume lost), are the 2nd results actually from that test?

As the Water Check test is comprehensive, it is not surprising the existing results will be duplicated. Will the Water Check test provide info that is not indicated in the results above?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks