Getting a snake through a p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

pedietz

Reaction score
My pedestal sink is so close to the wall that I can't get a wrench on the clean-out on the bottom of the trap. Any suggestions on getting a snake through the trap? The drain appears to be blocked about 4 - 6' away from the sink, for what that is worth.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I use a small cable in a tapered can with an offset handle and just wind it through the trap. It's stiff enough to get through the trap and It makes 90o turns quite easily and you may not be any more than 5 feet to a stack.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
This might be a good situation to use one of those drain cleaning bladders.

Attachments

• Drain Cleaning Bladder.jpg
    Drain Cleaning Bladder.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 2,559

pedietz

Reaction score
Clarification?

plumber1 said:
You use it, I sure won't....

Why no drain cleaning bladder? Does it matter if the drains are cast iron, not PVC?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
pedietz said:
Why no drain cleaning bladder? Does it matter if the drains are cast iron, not PVC?

They are no good if there is a tee in that line serviing as a vent before the clog.

I've seen best results with those on floor drains where the piping is collapsed and no cable will pass through.

Some swear by those fast action air movers that drano sell. The commercial alone is enough to gross even me out.:eek:

If you use a drain bladder it can force compression joints to blow apart/cause them to leak after the drain is open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks