Gerber Top Spud Bowl & Josam Closet Carrier

Users who are viewing this thread

FSSCOYF

Reaction score
First of all, please forgive my ignorance...

RE: Gerber Wall Hung, Elongated Top Spud Bowl (Model Number 25-030)
RE: Josam Closet Carrier (Vert w/Left Hand Vent) (Series: 12704)

I work for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and I am the Electronics/HVAC/Power Systems Technician. I got roped into the repair of the above items. A fellow technician found a bowl that was leaking. He tightened the finish hardware and yes, cracked the bowl. Here is the situation...

The Josam prints discuss a 'finished wall' about 5.5 inches the lock nut (hex jamb nut) of the carrier. Does that truly mean a finished wall up to and near the outlet extension? I've got tile placed near the mounting studs and the hex jamb nuts, but no tile near the outlet pipe. The outlet pipe is surrounded by the 'green sheetrock' used for moist places. Can the neoprene gasket be placed right on the sheet rock?

I am learning a lot right now. I know, for a fact, that the bowl was not mounted correctly. The 'backing hardware' for the bowl was not used and basically, the bowl was tightened against the wall.

I am looking for some help, instruction sheets, etc.

Many Thanks,

Terry

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
You have to use backup nuts and washers.on the carrier bolts...
They are set even with the wall...
When setting the WC, the carrier nipple is set per mounting instructions (distances can vary)...
Tighten the two bottom nuts and one of the top fairly snugly (don't over-tighten) and then the last top nut just 1/4 turn over finger tight...
If you snug up all 4 nuts, you will crack the fixture...

FSSCOYF

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

Another question concerning this situation...

Can I 'mount' the WC, with a neoprene seal onto the sheet rock or do I have to finish tiling the wall up to the carrier nipple? You said the backup nuts are even with the wall, but does the wall have to be one complete surface?

Thanks,
Terry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wall

Actually, I have recommended that the sheet rock be open in a rectangle between the bolts so the rods and nuts can be adjusted, (it saves having to cut them off if they are too long). As long as the toilet covers the opening the sheet rock behind it does nothing.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The backup nuts are set even with the finish surface (the tile....)
You don't have to finish behind the WC as mentioned...
The gasket has to seal to the carrier nipple and not the wall....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks