Gerber stem diverter 98-276 nylon bibb washer

Users who are viewing this thread

jimmyw

Reaction score
I have perfectly good stem diverter with a worn out bibb washer. Hope that is correct terminology - the nylon washer that shuts off water to the tub. Very old, but perfectly good except for that washer being worn out.
The place it goes is recessed - sort of like a stem washer.
Cannot see any name of mfgr on the diverter.
The diverter is 5.5 inches long. The shaft is approx 9.5 mm diameter. The receptor for the washer is approx 14 mm inner diameter. The depth of the receptor looks like about 1/8 in.

Is there a source to get these? 2 plumbing supply shops here (Boynton Beach, FL) adon't have them.

When I can figure out how to put a pic here, will add it.

Thanks

jimmyw

Reaction score
Here is a pic. A bit distorted with the ruler. It is 5.5 inches long, not including the screw for the washer.
Even if someone recognizes the mfgr would help.

Thanks,
20190429_152411.jpg

jimmyw

Reaction score
Fixed. Showed it to plumbing supply place and they handed me a Gerber stem diverter 98-276 that replaces it.
I'm a bit angry at myself. Was so hung up on getting an exact replica, including the nylon washer, that I stupidly overlooked that one that has same length and threads all in the same offset and even a slightly smaller washer (the one at the tip) would work. They hijacked me for $25 and turns out it was at HD for $17. I now see it is $27 at gerberparts.com.
And, if had known was a Gerber, probly could have used their lifetime guarantee.
Live and learn. I doubt that this rubber/neoprene diverter washer will last 40 years like the other one did.
But.... still cheaper than calling a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The people that identified it for you were worth the money. Way cheaper than having us do it for you.
Thanks for the update on what the part was. I don't see much Gerber so it was mystifying me.

jimmyw

Reaction score
Yep. Agree was worth it.
A bit more info - found a #17 Danco washer that seemed like it fit, but didn't seem to totally stop leak at the tub - a small (livable) trickle; but I was hell bent on finding the correct nylon washer; so not satisfied. Also had gone to AceHW and the guy thought he had found a match also, but again, it wasn't a perfect match so I passed it up - looking for the exact replica.
Mistakes made; but when you only do something once in a great while they happen. I didn't even know how a diverter worked at the time.
Glad I found this forum - good info on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks