Gerber Overflow not draining fast enough

Users who are viewing this thread

seldomright

Reaction score
Hi All,

Remodeling my bathroom, pulled out old fiberglass tub/shower one piece and put in a new acrylic tub. Replaced old drain setup w/ basically the same exact unit, a brass Gerber roman tub drain with trip lever . I was able to reuse the existing p-trap, no changes to the rough dwv plumbing at all. Never had any issues with the old plumbing/drain.

The tub drains absolutely fine/fast. And the overflow works, I can hear water draining once level has hit the overflow...and its definitely much more than a trickle. But it doesnt quite drain fast enough to keep up, if I let it go tub would eventually overflow.

There are no clogs in the stack, it's brand new, inspected myself while adjusting the trip lever. Any thoughts on what the culprit could be?

The trip lever/drain stopper still need to be fine tuned as I can hear a trickle leak every 5-10 seconds or so. Could the stopper (correct term....lift bucket?) be sitting too high in the overflow tube/stack in the closed position and be restricting the flow ?

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
That sounds pretty typical to me. I’d say most tub overflows will help with minor overfilling, but can’t keep up with a full flow of water from a tub spout.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most overflows can't keep up with the rate of flow. Its not the tube or the stopper, but the actual opening to the pipe.. the cover doesn't have enough opening. I just had a product rep in the other day to show me a product and one thing we talked about was tub overflows. They have a line that is actually designed to drain as fast as most fillers.. But its not going to help out your style lever stopper. You'll just have to be mindful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks