Gerber Maxwell 20-021

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim454

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house with an old AS wall mount toilet, which has now developed a small leak. After surfing the web I've come to realize my options are the AS Glenwall or the Gerber 20-021. Seeing most people complain about the Glenwall shredding paper and solids, I made the decision to try the Gerber.

After contacting Gerber they gave me a list of distributors in my area (said they don't sell directly to consumer), but the distributors tell me they don't carry/offer that brand. Looks like I might have to order online and hope for an undamaged toilet to show up.

Does anyone know which neoprene gasket I should order? I've read that Zurn makes them in .75" and 1.25" thickness. Also if anyone knows of a place in SE Michigan that sells these toilets I could use it, I'm out in the country and the plumbers around me have no experience with wall mounted toilets.

For the record I'm just an average homeowner and not a plumber. Aside from getting the proper sized gasket, making sure the waste horn protrudes from the wall 5/8" and tightening 3 of the 4 bolts with the 4th bolt being hand tight, am I missing anything? Is there a general consensus about how much the carrier bolts should be sticking out?

The original toilet has some flex when sitting on it but all 4 bolts are extremely tight. I'm assuming this small flexing is contributing to the small leak. Since the bolts are tight, could the carrier be bad?

Sorry for the long rambling post, just trying to make sure I have everything covered before I tackle this project or if I'd be better off converting to a floor mount.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
maxwell_wh_03.jpg

I just use the standard neopreme wall washer on them if you're doing a replacement.
At the wall, you should have backing nuts and washers that the bowl sets up against. If there is movement in the wall, that's normally because the carrier is bolted to wood that has dried out over the years. I rarely see a carrier that isn't moving some. There isn't much you can do about it. And it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Last edited:

nick tinari

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house with an old AS wall mount toilet, which has now developed a small leak. After surfing the web I've come to realize my options are the AS Glenwall or the Gerber 20-021. Seeing most people complain about the Glenwall shredding paper and solids, I made the decision to try the Gerber.

After contacting Gerber they gave me a list of distributors in my area (said they don't sell directly to consumer), but the distributors tell me they don't carry/offer that brand. Looks like I might have to order online and hope for an undamaged toilet to show up.

Does anyone know which neoprene gasket I should order? I've read that Zurn makes them in .75" and 1.25" thickness. Also if anyone knows of a place in SE Michigan that sells these toilets I could use it, I'm out in the country and the plumbers around me have no experience with wall mounted toilets.

For the record I'm just an average homeowner and not a plumber. Aside from getting the proper sized gasket, making sure the waste horn protrudes from the wall 5/8" and tightening 3 of the 4 bolts with the 4th bolt being hand tight, am I missing anything? Is there a general consensus about how much the carrier bolts should be sticking out?

The original toilet has some flex when sitting on it but all 4 bolts are extremely tight. I'm assuming this small flexing is contributing to the small leak. Since the bolts are tight, could the carrier be bad?

Sorry for the long rambling post, just trying to make sure I have everything covered before I tackle this project or if I'd be better off converting to a floor mount.
Where did you eventually get the tank? Where did you get the 5/8 dimension? Thanks nick Tinari

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks