Gerber faucet stem replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

AlanP64

Reaction score
Ok, I’m sure this sort of thing gets asked quite a bit, I apologize for adding another one. My house was built in 1955. We have a full bath with tub and shower, then a small bath with just the shower only. In that shower, with the hot water faucet closed, when you open the cold water, water will leak around the stem and the handle. I will attach the pictures that I believe y’all typically ask for. The handle insert indicating hot or cold have the Gerber name, so I’m assuming these are Gerber. This shower isn’t used very often, so I’d like to just replace the stem assemblies or rebuild them if I can’t get replacements. So, that’s basically my question.. Where can I possibly find replacements? Thanks in advance

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

AlanP64

Reaction score
Ok, I thought I was done but one more question. Anyone know where I can find one of these or a proper substitute? I’ve found one place online and looking at the reviews, it appears it’s not a very reliable place to buy things.

AlanP64

Reaction score
Doesn't appear to be in stock there. I had looked at Faucetshark.com but they have a ton of negative reviews, "No ship after paying for parts. Not answering phone etc."

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a rubber washer under the screw, you also need a nylon washer at the bottom of the thread going into the faucet body.
If you still have a leak, see if you can get the seat out of the body and replace it too.
You might have luck finding parts at a local plumbing supply stores, not the big stores. Take the stem with you.
If not, you will be much happier with replacing the faucet.

AlanP64

Reaction score
You need a rubber washer under the screw, you also need a nylon washer at the bottom of the thread going into the faucet body.
If you still have a leak, see if you can get the seat out of the body and replace it too.
You might have luck finding parts at a local plumbing supply stores, not the big stores. Take the stem with you.
If not, you will be much happier with replacing the faucet.

Correct, I bought the components to rebuild them. The hot water side, is the big problem. the threaded nipple that goes over the stem and the trim piece on the outside screws to that (can't spell the real name) has sheered off inside the bonnet or body of the stem piece. I have tried extractors and everything I can think of but can't budge it. I would definitely be a better off with a whole new faucet, but obviously that means tearing out the wall in the bedroom side. Not real jazzed about that idea but might wind up at that point. This shower was rarely used, just my wife and I at the house. So, we typically used the big bathroom facilities. She has MS and is a bit mobility impaired. She uses a transfer bench in the big tub/shower and I hate having to move it in and out to use that tub/shower myself. So, I have a big interest in getting this stand up shower fixed.

AlanP64

Reaction score
If you are not trying to keep the period look you can install a modern kit to completely rebuild and trim. Search "Gerber RK1830-2"

Thanks. I did find a solution. After 3 different ACE hardware stores, I wound up at Elliot's in Dallas. They suggested Lasco S-1047-3 and they had the threaded nipple pieces. Installed and working. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks