Gerber avalanche or AS VorMax?

Users who are viewing this thread

hiho

Reaction score
I have been reading around here and it seems everyone loves their Toto's. That being said I have asked around locally (plumber, Ferguson supply store etc.) and they all have advised me not to go with Toto (yes they do sell and install Toto's). All local sources have said they used to be better but now other brands have caught up and it's not worth it. That being said we are also on a budget- we are building a new home and we need 5 toilets. One plumbing store is pushing Gerber Avalanche the other, AS VorMax (both also sell Toto but the one that sells Gerber does not sell AS, the one that sells AS does not sell Gerber). I was thinking if we do go with AS, I would get the Home Depot line of VorMax since the price is MUCH lower than at Fergusson and includes the slow close seat. Some people on here seem to like that one. Any thoughts between the Avalanche and the VorMax or toilets in the roughly $250 price range? I think the VorMax looks prettier but the many technical parts and some of the comments on here make me nervous. What would you do? Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
All local sources have said they used to be better but now other brands have caught up and it's not worth it.

Since the Totos are comparably-priced, how can they be "not worth it"? Remember, salesman tell you whatever they need to tell you in order to sell you what they want to sell you. There are all sorts of incentives -- cash and prizes -- thrown at salespeople and professionals to move a certain volume of a certain item. This is how we ended up with the world's crappiest air conditioner, when the matriarch went to pick up the one we told her to get at PC Richard. She came back with an awful one, rather than the specified one. How did this happen? The salesman told her that this one was "better". And, now on the defensive, she said, "The man at PC Richard knows more about air conditioners than you do." Well, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But one thing is/was for sure: whatever he knew, what he told her had nothing to do with what he knew and everything to do with the bosses wanting to move the crappy air conditioners off the floor. Or you go into a bar and order Smirnoff. The bartender wants to move the $10 vodka, and so tells you either that he's out of Smirnoff or something like, "Let me pour you some Ketel One instead. Believe me, you'll thank me in the morning." And his manager gives him points for upselling.

What would I do? I wouldn't buy anything from those guys. (Ferguson...PUH-LEESE.) I would find the Toto I wanted, see what Supply.com was selling it for, and then call around and ask five local plumbing supply places (look in the Yellow Pages for plumbing supply, whether or not they say they sell Toto, because they can get it) for their best price on that model and color of Toto, without being a jerk and telling them the online price. That's just for you to have an idea of a "street" price or a little lower than the street price. In our experience, two will be jerks, two will be nice, two will have a stupidly-high price, and at least one will be nice and have a good price. That's who I would buy it from.

The joy of this forum is being able to get a variety of views from people actually on the ground installing and using the stuff, who aren't trying to sell you anything.

And -- GEEZ -- if you're going to spend $250 on a toilet, get the Toto Entrada or the Toto Original Drake and pocket the difference.

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
To answer your specific question, both the Avalanche and Vormax perform well. However, except for the Fluidmaster fill valve, the internal tank parts for the Vormax are proprietary and expensive, while the Avalanche's are not. I own an American Standard Vormax from The Home Depot and have been pleased with it. Knowing what I now know about the cost of replacement parts, I would choose the Avalanche, if given my choice of those two. You'll be better served by the Avalanche with the 1.6 GPF model over the 1.28.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks