Gerber Avalanche 1.28 vs 1.6 gpf

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxie

Reaction score
Hi. We are considering the Gerber Avalanche. The reviews seem decent, and my mother (who's house it's for), likes the smaller footprint this toilet has compared to most (and the room behind it at the base). I was first looking at the 1.6 gpf ErgoHeight elongated one (model 21-818), but noticed there is a 1-piece model (21-014) that maybe looks nicer (haven't seen it in person), and is 2-1/8" shorter in length. It's a small bathroom, so smaller is better. Are the 1.2 gpf models considered as good as the 1.6? Do they flush as well, and empty the bowl as well? On the spec sheet I see that the 1.2 gpf has a smaller water surface and I wonder how much of a difference that makes for a clean bowl. I know most people on this forum love the Toto Drake II, which is what I was originally thinking of getting (and will for my own bathroom), but my mother liked something about the Gerber more. Thanks in advance for your input.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
She will like the performance and relative-quiet of the Drake II better.

All toilets do not perform the same.

I had an absolutely-beautiful-looking Kohler toilet that you needed to plunge the moment you put anything solid in it. I ripped it out, replaced it with a Drake, and haven't plunged it since.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Gerber doesn't get great reviews. Your results may differ since not everyone is 'built' the same. If there's a male in the household, he will appreciate an elongated toilet. Unless the door swing is an issue, you actually sit in the same place but with the elongated, a bit more sticks out in front - your feet are to the sides, regardless. IOW, you knee space while sitting is the same, whether it's a round or elongated toilet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Jim points out, Gerber does not get great reviews. While some users have good luck with theirs, that is not true for many. I find it interesting that out of all of the Toto models, your mom can find one she likes. Of course, she's the one that has to be pleased, so I'm not going there, but it would be a shame to get a toilet that did not flush well based just on looks whether real or imagined. The newer super low volume toilets seem to work very well. It's amazing.

Maxie

Reaction score
I guess I was under the impression Gerber Avalanche has decent reviews. What she liked about the look of it is that it is less bulky below - the whole trap part, so it has an airier feel about it. It seems to sit on a smaller base. If the Toto Drake II comes in w/ overwhelmingly better reviews, she'd go w/ that one. But, as far as the Avalanche is concerned, I have only seen these good reviews for the 1.6 gpf, and wondered about the 1.28 one-piece model. (BTW - this website is awesome!)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Either the 1.6 or 1.28 will be an excellent choice. I suggest you shop around, prices can vary a great deal. Toto toilets are not sold in discount stores, and on-line buying, while it can save a lot of money, is risky because of breakage during shipping. Most on-line sellers will make good on broken in shipment goods, but it is always a bit of a hassle. You might want to look at the specs on this toilet in the Toilet Review section. The model is: CST454CEF. I would spend the extra $$ for the CEFIONTECT finish. You will note this is a Universal Height toilet which is great for us older folks whose knees aren't as good as they once were.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks