Geothermal System Replacement Cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod McKnight

Reaction score
After 15 years the old Geothermal system decided to call it quits. Shopping around for bids now and I am gettin quotes all over the place. It's difficult to decide who is blowing smoke and who is legitimate since they are all using different units and different sizes for replacement. On the average, what do you think a good ball park figure is to replace a 4 ton geo system? My highest bid is $14,800 just replacing the unit itself with a 4 ton GeoComfort Enertech vertical system without any of the loop equipment being replaced. The lowest bid I have is $10,500 for a Climatemaster 4 ton also without any loop equipment being replaced.

Are these figures within the ball park?

Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
How well did the old equipment cool and heat? 15 years have you upgraded windows, doors or jnsulation? Any contractor run a heating or cooling load? Old geo do anything for hot water preheats about 55% of the water. Does a better job in heat than cooling. Contractor is more important that the equipment. Want someone that reps one brand of geo so they should have a better relationship with the distributor.

Rod McKnight

Reaction score
How well did the old equipment cool and heat? 15 years have you upgraded windows, doors or jnsulation? Any contractor run a heating or cooling load? Old geo do anything for hot water preheats about 55% of the water. Does a better job in heat than cooling. Contractor is more important that the equipment. Want someone that reps one brand of geo so they should have a better relationship with the distributor.

The old equipment was working well but they had to keep adding refrigerant and are telling me it is leaking out of the coil? The contractor told me due to the age of the equipment and the availability for replacement parts it would probably be better to upgrade. When the unit was fully operational, for some reason it always cooled the house better than heating it. The house is only 15 years old so windows and doors are good. Current unit does have a de-superheater and the new quotes include that as well. I agree that the contractor is more important than the equipment just wanted to get an idea if the current numbers I am being quoted are in the ball park.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks