Generator sound, water pouring in under house

Users who are viewing this thread

washingtondad

Reaction score
Plumbers and homeowners alike,

Last night I discovered what I can only describe as a gas generator sound coming from under my floor in the living room. My wife has heard it the last few nights but thought it was our neighbor's RV. Today I went under the house and discovered standing water and as I made my way to the sound I found that water is coming in. See my video.

My wife then told me about some standing water in a vertical PVC pipe outside of our house so I checked that and the water's swirling inside. I'm guessing I have a burst pipe and have a plumber scheduled to come by tomorrow. Anything I can do in the meantime?

Outside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BEwgjyIgpE&list=UUBsMIm6yPbE0EyhSI_93PNw

Under
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyZekKjwzc&list=UUBsMIm6yPbE0EyhSI_93PNw

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Can't make out a lot from your video except that there is water pouring from somewhere. If you know where the main shut off is at the meter you should shut it. You might end up with a 4 figure water bill.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like there is a red shut off valve in the vertical PVC pipe. You could shut if off and see if that does anything.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When using a cellphone for video, do everyone a favor and turn it horizontal! It gets sized for the height on playback, and therefore doesn't fill the horizontal screen very much when you shoot it vertical! It's much easier to see what's going on when you do that.

washingtondad

Reaction score
I'm always getting on my wife for filming vertically and here I am doing it. The red valve did it. I had a plumber came out and the red valve leads to my in ground sprinkler system which has burst somewhere along the line. We don't use the sprinkler system so I may do some digging when I'm bored but for now, crisis averted...until the water bill comes in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks