Generator-ready subpanel question

Users who are viewing this thread

Charp

Reaction score
rick, The front panel on the generator says it has 8550 "starting" watts and 5550 running watts. Don't know how it does it, I'm just a stoopit old nail pounder not an Electrimagician.

jwelectric, I guess I could have been kilt by the generator at my last house?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
what is incorrect without switching the neutral? people have been doing it for years. safe? you don't think it's safe to have the main breaker OFF and backfeed the panel with an interlock device as pictured above? again, people have been doing this for years, even without an interlock switch.

Do you think that Knob and Tube wiring is safe in today’s market?
Do you think that a 1 ½ inch horizontal washer drain is safe? I had one for years with no problem but my new washer made me change it.
Do you think that homes without countertop receptacles that are not protected with GFCI are safe?

There are hundreds of thousands of homes like these still being lived in every day so why did we change our methods?

With the small generators that have receptacles installed on them will have the equipment grounding conductor bonded to the neutral at the frame of the generator and this bonding is done at the service disconnect. To wire them as we have in the past introduces a parallel path between the neutral and the equipment grounding conductor and makes the frame of the generator carry the same amount of current as the neutral conductor and there will be a difference of potential between the generator and earth. UL Standard 2201 mandates that the manufacturer of the generator install this bond so there is a fault current path for the overcurrent devices on the generator. To remove this bond on the generator is really dangerous to the generator devices.

These small generators are not designed to be used outside in inclement weather such as rain, snow, and ice. The wiring is not enclosed in weather proof enclosures and the devices do not have in use covers. They were designed to be used on clear days and dry ground.

With these small generators refueling is dangerous in a continuous use circumstance. The fuel storage tank on most to them puts spilled fuel running down the sides where it could ignite.

Have I covered enough to cause some thinking about these or do I need to continue?

Oh by the way, grandpa carried a gun and rode a horse everywhere he went and did it for years so why don’t we just park our cars and buy a horse.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Whether or not the genny is a SDS is a matter of whether or not the neutral is bonded, not whether or not the neutral is swithced.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I see you posting over on mike holt about portable gen sets too. how about this article, that states that since that if you are not switching the neutral, then it is not a sds. images are from mike holt's site per the article.

http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/ma03/ma5.htm

look at the date of that Feature Article then think about how old it is. The Codes change every three years even on the Holt site

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks