Generator or wiring question

Users who are viewing this thread

Artmg

Reaction score
I have a Generac 7000 watt with 8500 watt start up. I have it wired into the panel with a 30 amp breaker. When I tested it it seems like everything except the furnace, refrigerator and stove (gas stove but need electric) work. Any idea why those things may not be working since they are the most important ? The other things that work are on separate circuits so it's not like only one circuit is working. I plan on trying at least the refrigerator using an extension cord but don't want to try it before I get some other ideas. Thanks for any thoughts.

LeakyBoat

Reaction score
What is the model number? Generac website I found terrible to navigate and find a user manual.

If some appliances are not working, then I would guess it's a wiring error at the plug or panel.
You might have missed wiring one phase? It's a three-wire deal, L1, L2, neutral. I've seen X, Y, WHITE labels on plugs too. G is ground.
Don't mix them up or you can damage some things i.e. giving 240V to 120V appliances.
I would double check the wiring. This pic is for a NEMA L14-30P, twist-lock.

Leviton L14_30P plug wiring.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You should be using a transfer switch. It sounds like you hardwired the generator to a 30 amp breaker in the panel, probably on one leg, then need to open the main breaker before closing the 30 amp breaker? Is this right? If so you violated about every electrical safety rule where others can be electrocuted. Please show a picture and how you are wired. We all love to help but cannot endorse bad practices. Any further help is limited to liability issues.

Please see this PINED post, it's 12 years old.

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 4.23.50 PM.jpg

Artmg

Reaction score
This is how it's wired in. It did pass inspection. This is the write up on the product

This interlock kit meets the requirements of Article 702 of the National Electric Code ANSI/NFPA 70. NEVER back feed a breaker panel without a generator breaker interlock kit. Doing so could easily energize utility lines with very high voltages that could easily be lethal to a lineman or other utility worker

it's a GP7000E generator.

LeakyBoat

Reaction score
That's a mechanical circuit-breaker interlock which prevents both (mains and generator) breakers from being on at the same time.
It's for a GE 100amp panel. If your panel is a different make... that is a big, dangerous problem.
You added a dual 30A breaker? It might not be to connecting both phases, only one. I would figure this out before resorting to extension cords.
Post pictures of the panel's wiring for the breakers and it better be a GE panel...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks