Generator not working and I have well water, please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

TJMas

Reaction score
So after some company decided to cut some tree branches after the storm, my street that had power no longer has it. I bought this house a year ago and found a hook up for a generator outside as well as a panel attached to the other end. Now that I have to use the system, it's not working. The generator works properly the 30 amp cable is brand new, the only other place could be in the panels, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. The first two attached images are from two panels in the basement, and the 3rd is in the garage that gets connected to the generator. The breakers that are in the "off" position are intentional. I shut off what I don't need to work incase the issue was with the draw.

Attachments

• genwire1.jpg
    genwire1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 176
  • genwire2.jpg
    genwire2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 183
  • genwire3.jpg
    genwire3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 177

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It doesn't look like you have a cutout switch for a proper and safe generator connection. The previous owner may have made a hack connection. This is the problem when someone does this and it is not safe nor a standard way. The next person, as yourself, comes along and there is this problem.

This is what a transfer switch may look like. It disconnects the power feed from the main and connects the load side to the generator generator with a flip of a switch, therefore, power from the generator cannot be connected to the pole side. It can injure or kill a worker on the working on the pole. In addition a lockout maybe be needed at the main panel.

Living in Florida for 30 years with many hurricanes in the southeast USA, more are killed after the storm than during it, mostly electrocution and carbon monoxide poisoning. Please call on an electrician to get this figured out.

For now, get 14 gauge extension cords (not 16 gauge) and run the generator at least 30 feet from any openings and windows of your home and neighbors.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...rator-safely-after-a-hurricane-strikes/432988

connecticut-electric-temporary-power-distribution-boxes-egs107501g2kit-c3_145.jpg

Last edited:

Taylorjm

Reaction score
There's no way to know what's going on from your pictures. We don't know how the panels are interconnected or anything. Then how is your generator being plugged in. Are you using the 3 wire or 4 wire generator plug? Are the subpanels in series?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks