Generator 50-amp box

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonG2020

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing a GE T050N 50-amp inlet on my brick exterior to support a portable generator hookup. The GE panel has punchouts on the bottom and sides, but none directly in the rear. My facade has conduit with a single gang cover positioned over it. Ideally the panel would go directly over that external cover. Is it ok to punch a hole in the rear of the GE inlet and thread a strain relief plug into it, or do I need to position it to allow the cable to use an existing punch out? Can I just drill an appropriately sized hole into the box? The box is listed on the Home Depot site if pictures are needed. Thanks in advance!

Afjes

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure of your suggested alternative. I am having a problem visualizing it. Maybe too early in the morning.

Anyway, keep in mind in general that a device/inlet/outlet/box is UL approved as it is constructed by the manufacturer. Any time you alter it as in drilling a hole into the box in this example you are compromising its integrity as it was tested and approved by UL in its original state.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any time you alter it as in drilling a hole into the box in this example you are compromising its integrity as it was tested and approved by UL in its original state.
While that's literally true, typically drilling a hole in an enclosure would not be a change that an AHJ would consider would require reevaluation by the listing agency.

As to the OP, how about a picture of the product with the cover and front plate removed?

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing there is no knockout in the back due to the radius of bend required to make the turn. Not saying you can't do it, as I've done very similar. It might be hard to get something listed with a knockout in the back unless your post a certain depth.

Afjes

Reaction score
wwhitney you are correct. My statement to the OP was more of an overall warning not to alter an existing construction of a box.
An example: Taking a plastic box and attaching it to a stud with drywall screws by putting the screws thru the walls of the box instead of the nails supplied with the box.

You can punch a proper hole in a panel with a punch device or a proper bit and then use a proper gromet or strain relief.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks