General Water Softener Maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

Chopstick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Fleck 5600SXT system.
It has 1.5 cubic foot resin.
On city water.

Other than cleaning out the Brine Tank, is there any other maintenance I should be doing to the unit to maintain optimal performance?
I've seen a few posts of people using things like Iron Out, Res Care, etc. for maintenance.
Should I be adding this too? Or is that not needed for city water?

Any other types of maintenance I should be doing?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Keep some salt higher than the water level.

With city water, you should not need Iron Out etc. With city water, the resin will degrade with time. So if you note high pressure drop or bad softening maybe seven years from now, replace the resin with new 10% crosslinked resin. I hope your current resin is 10% crosslinked. You would have paid a little extra for that, so your order record would state that.

Also get a Hach 5-B test to check softened water as the count-down gallon counter approaches zero. If hardness starts leaking before the end of the countdown, an adjustment in settings is called for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks