Geberit wall carrier: couple of questions

Users who are viewing this thread

EIR

Reaction score
Installed one of these in our bathroom. Followed the paper and online video to a tee.

I have concerns about long term durability of the physical toilet and the wall surface.

The manual that came with stated cement board, gypsum board, etc were approved substrates.

After mounting my toilet tonight I feel like I need to modify the install. It's a 2x6 wall with extra framing added for the carrier. From there it's some 1/4" ply for shimming (left the section over the carrier continuous instead of shimming individual studs there ). Then I hung some firecore 5/8" dens armor plus (only dens armor plus I could get locally).

I feel the bottom.of the toilet bowl wants to point load the sheetrock when weight is applied to the toilet. Any suggestions on preemptively modifying the install to prevent the toilet from.crushing or erroding the sheetrock.

2) the manual doesn't state using or supplies backer nuts or washers like the commercial carriers do. Should I try to use them anyway?

3)how tight are the nuts suppose to be when you tighten down the bowl to the wall? I also assume that the bowl should rest on the plastic washers and not directly on the threaded rod.

geberit_carrier_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EIR

Reaction score
Followed them to a t. However I've been in the construction industry long enough to see and know just how soft and delicate drywall is. It really is inferior to other wall cladding outside of initial cost (material alone).

I was considering making some sort of backer plate out of a thin gauge metal templated to the toilet. That way at least the point load at the bottom would be diffused somewhat.

The location really couldn't be reinforced with blocking since the included drain is in that location.

I feel some backer nuts and washers and so an some type of backer plate would be better than letting it go and it comprise the sheetrock down low....creating a possible leak or overall failure.

EIR

Reaction score
Terry I referenced that video during the installation several times.

If you read the included paper instructions it references in the very beginning of what wall finish materials are acceptable.

http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/...nstructions/968.075.00.0_Sigma2x4_install.pdf

I called their tech like today on my drive home. The gentleman's initial response was that I needed a backerboard behind the toilet.

I quoted their manual to him and then made the argument that backerboard (assuming he meant cement backerboard) technically adds no structural integrity, most at brittle where the toilet contacts the wall finish at the bottom of the bowl where there is no framing member or carrier material to support it.

His ultimate answer was that if it was installed per the geberit materials then if there ever was an issue to call them back. ::eye roll::.

The video clearly shows that the wall material is going to be sandwiched between the toilet and carrier unlike a commercial carrier with backer nuts&washers.

Fortunately for the demo video they appear to be using a melamine or plywood in 3/4" thickness or more.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The whole thing is a bit strange to me too. I've seen some in place, and installed the bowls before. They seem solid in practice, but didn't see what was behind them. Most I've seen had tile on the wall.

geberit_in_wall_tank_01.jpg

geberit_in_wall_tank_02.jpg

geberit_in_wall_tank_03.jpg

geberit_in_wall_tank_05.jpg

Last edited:

EIR

Reaction score
I should have looked harder still it before committing.

My concern isn't that it's going to fall off the wall.

My concern is over time that drywall will eventually be damaged. Then without it the bowl will rock further down, possibly moving the drain pipe, contorting the epdm seal of the waste outlet and creating a leak and a toilet that moves and rocks and will only get worse.

It's location will be make any repair difficult if not impossible to address without substantial invasive work of the wall.

I turned it on and am leak testing which is another consideration that I had put out of my mind.

I leaked tested the copper supply line prior to closing the wall.

However leak testing the cistern I never did because I wasn't sure how to nicely drain the unit without the bowl mounted.

I guess I'll just keep monitoring the subfloor underneath in the crawl daily for awhile until I can sleep easy. Luckily the hole around the drain and supply line in the subfloor is directly below so it should provide an early indication of a problem before it buckles the hardwood in the adjoing bedroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks