ge softner or whirlpool

Users who are viewing this thread

rihorton

Reaction score
looking at these two softners, one from lowes the other is at home depot, anyone had any experience with these.
Whirlpool WHES404, 40000 grain water softner
Ge GXSF40H, 40000 grain water softner

thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same unit , with just a different package.............
Cheap and throw away after a few years.

rihorton

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, they are both about 575 each, which to me is not very cheap, how much should a water softner of this size cost, and what brands would be recommended? Neighbor has the whirlpool, had it for about 4 years and he said it still works great, another neighbor that I talked to up the road has a system, not sure of the name brand, but I remember him saying it was around 2500 when he got it and a plumber services it for him, did not ask many questions about what he meant by service, but i think he meat when it needed the salt, etc. that was what he was referring to. How many years would you think one of the GE or Whirlpool units would last?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
575 is for a unit that some place between 4-7 years is going to have challenges and if they are major then they have the parts, the cost would be about the same to replace or fix,,,... they would like to have you replace.
There are some on line for under 1000.00 for a fleck 5600 or 2510, both great valves .. long life and parts cheap enough to keep them running for years.
The 2500 that your one friend talks of is most likely a Corp system or another dealer in the area.
Dealers are either under a Corp flag or by them self ...

Have you done a water test to find out the iron , hardness, ph, maganise?
How big is the place?
How many people?
Questions that need to be asked and answered.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Neither of the above, they are both crap. Go with something with a Fleck or Clack valve head on it and stay away from cabinet units.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Neither of the above, they are both crap. Go with something with a Fleck or Clack valve head on it and stay away from cabinet units.
Smart advise. Buying one for Home Depot or Lowes is a crap shoot and the house normally wins. Fleck or Clack will give you more years of use than the others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks