GE Hybrid problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin.g

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here, although not new to these forums. Back around 2010, we moved and l after a lot of reading and reading and researching on this and other forms, l bought a new GE electric hybrid water heater, the blue top one.
It's been running steady, in hybrid mode until now .we've noticed the water was not as warm and I discovered the bottom heating element was bad, l put a new one in. The heater turns on , some fans come on and then it says (wiring to unit incorrect must be 240 v. Not 120. Or a heat pump falt.
No falt codes are on, Anybody that's got one of these had this problem? Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Did you try a reset of the thermo switch at the top thermostat? Did you let the tank fill with water running out of a faucet before switching power on? If not, then one or both elements burned out. Without the heat pump running, it is no more than an ordinary electric water heater except the controlas.

Kevin.g

Reaction score
Did you try a reset of the thermo switch at the top thermostat? Did you let the tank fill with water running out of a faucet before switching power on? If not, then one or both elements burned out. Without the heat pump running, it is no more than an ordinary electric water heater except the controlas.

Kevin.g

Reaction score
Yes I reset switch, I tested the top element, and the water was full.
I checked the faults and there was none.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You'll have to start at the breaker panel and reset it there but the 220v breaker would trip both sides of L1 and L2. Does this appliance have it own circuit breaker somewhere near the electrical connection for the heat pump? If not time to get the voltmeter out and start checking.

Kevin.g

Reaction score
You'll have to start at the breaker panel and reset it there but the 220v breaker would trip both sides of L1 and L2. Does this appliance have it own circuit breaker somewhere near the electrical connection for the heat pump? If not time to get the voltmeter out and start checking.
Yea,
Yea I had breaker off numerous times, the only thing I haven't checked was wiring at the unit. But why would that change? When I get home I'll check it.

Kevin.g

Reaction score
Yea,

Yea I had breaker off numerous times, the only thing I haven't checked was wiring at the unit. But why would that change? When I get home I'll check it.
Well, I checked the power and it's 240 at the unit
Guess it's the heat pump

Kevin.g

Reaction score
Well, I checked the power and it's 240 at the unit
Guess it's the heat pump
Well I went downstairs to do some rechecking,, and thought I'd check the reset on the top element, and in doing so I found a wire unplugged, I must have done it when I took the top element out to check it. Plugged it in , restarted it and all is working again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks