GE GXSF39 drain line dripping leak

Users who are viewing this thread

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a really old GXSF39 in the house and have been pretty good at keeping it up and maintaining it. I have replaced the seal kit in it before and the verturi parts over time as they wore out. All the fixes seemed to do just fine.

Now I have a new problem, the drain line continually drips. Its a slow drip, but for winter, its not good because it freezes when it gets cold. The drip stops when I bypass. So I'm pretty sure its not the bypass.

I opened up the unit and went through the seals and they all seem to be fine. I examined them closely and they are all in good shape. I put a new batch of silicon grease on them just to keep them working well. However, the drip still persists.

In examining some of the threads here and on the net, as well as looking at the parts configuration, the only other thing I can think of is the rotor disk.

I wanted to get the experts' input on this before I buy as the rotor and seal kit which is about $82. I don't mind buying it if people think this should do it, otherwise that money is better spent on going towards replacing the water softener. I would rather spend $82 instead of $500. :)

Any thoughts of how to fix along with whether its worth it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
I opened it up to examine the rotor disk. It does not have grooves in it, but it definitely has light scratches from wear. Could this possibly be causing the drip leak in the drain line while in service mode?

Bannerman

Reaction score
You have likely found the reason for the leak.

This thread has probably received few responses as that brand and most softener brands offered in big box stores, are often considered on this site to be low quality and disposable when something goes wrong, which it too often does. Some users have been successful in having them run 5 or 6 years, occasionally longer, whereas others have experienced issues when first installed.

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I made a mistake getting the big box stuff :-(. But I’m glad it made 20 years.

I’m taking your implied advice. I have a Fleck 5600SXT coming tomorrow to replace it. I read those have good life. Might as well put some money into something that will last!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks