GE GXSF30V water level to high

Users who are viewing this thread

cardr

Reaction score
Hello everyone first post here.

Where is the water level supposed to be normally when in service mode? I would think right above the salt. Currently My salt is down around #3 toward the bottom, and the water level is at #7. This past time the unit actually overflowed a little bit during the cycle. I cleaned the nozzle and venturi assbly per the manual but it's the same.

Anyone know why the water level is so high and how to get it lowered?

Thanks for the help!!

Old

Reaction score
Normal brine water level when the unit is in service should be at the bottom of the float assy. This unit fills the brine tank first, then draws the brine water into the unit during the same regeneration. There will normally be a couple inches of water in the brine tank just up to the bottom of the float assy. The float is just clipped into a notch on the brine well tube so it can come undone and move the float up higher in the tube. If the float assembly moves higher there will be more standing water but it should still be at the bottom of the float assy if it is working properly. It sounds like your unit is drawing little/no brine. Usually this is caused by debris clogged in the venturi, brine flow control, or screen. There is a rubber gasket that the plastic venturi seals against, the rubber can deteriorate and prevent a proper seal on the plastic venturi. There is a flow control on the drain line that could be clogged, this would prevent brine draw. Disconnect the brine line and suck on it, you should be able to suck water up the tube. There is an air check that can get stuck closed and prevent brine draw. If all of these things check out and look good then you probably need to put a new seal kit in the valve. There are a few o-rings and seals inside the valve itself that can go bad. It's not hard to replace these but you will have to disassemble the valve. If you need any parts they can be purchased here: https://www.softenerparts.com/North_Star_Sears_GE_Smartwater_Whirlpool_s/1.htm

cardr

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I looked at the Venturi and took that all apart. It's clean. The unit is only ~3 years old. I made it do a manual regen and found that during that time when it's pushing water out it's coming back into the tank via the overflow drain on the tank. I noticed that in the manual it says not to connect these together which I did. I assume this is my problem. I'll go get separate hoes for each.

Do you know if I can put the system in a mode to remove most of the water from the brine tank? I'd rather it pump it out vs me using a small container?

Thanks for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you know if I can put the system in a mode to remove most of the water from the brine tank? I'd rather it pump it out vs me using a small container?
After you separate the hoses, if you just trigger two manual regenerations, maybe 3 hours apart, that should empty out the brine tank and rinse off the resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks