Gate Valve Stem / Threads Lubrication

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Provincial, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Provincial

Provincial New Member

I have numerous gate valves in my home.
    For example, the water cut-offs for outdoors, and even the master water cut-off are all gate valves.

Am I supposed to be doing something to properly maintain or lubricate those valves?
    Should I put WD40 on the stem, or perhaps spreading on some plumbing silicone?

The question occurred to me because it's about time to again turn on the cut-off valves for the outside water, and I would prefer to keep those in good condition rather than seeing some failure one day.

2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    On OS & Y valves we use key grease on the spline (Stem) and close and open the valves and make sure we give the gate valves a 1/4 turn back from closed

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

Had one break off on my last year. Man was that a pain, I didn't have a ball valve one hand the right size, and it was in a point I couldn't easily drain. Truly, is greasing the valve less work than replacing it? Probably yes, but not by a ton.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Why do you think they are gate valves? Most multi-turn valves in houses are not gate valves.

6. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    That would usually only be true if you also counted all the shut off valves at the fixtures. The ONLY way to lubricate a gate valve stem, NOT an OS&Y one, it to take it apart. Spraying lube on the exposed portion is useless.

Sylvan likes this.
  7. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Actually, most fixture valves are Globe pattern for throttling.

For example, a Fluidmaster 400A can cause a hydraulic shock like a washing machine, dishwasher, or any other type of quick closing valve, solenoid valve for example

Gate and ball valves are not for throttling

Gate valves are considered a positive shut off