Gassy? smell leak question

Users who are viewing this thread

chessimprov

Reaction score
For the past two nights when I come home, I smell this gassy leak like smell in my living room. I had the electric/gas representative come to my home yesterday and there was no sign of a gas leak when he investigated my chimney, boiler and AC/heating unit, and the general vicinity of the room. I also opened my window and a porch door while I waited. When I made the call, the person on the phone told me to leave everything as is at the time.

A friend thinks it could be a pot user. Any other thoughts or avenues I should take? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Free standing house?

Maybe bring in a guest nose... age 19...40.

chessimprov

Reaction score
No, it is a townhome connected to other townhomes. A townhome (or two) is underneath part of mine, and then another one is adjacent to me on one side. It is a corner unit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Asking the neighbor under the living room if she has smelled something may help.

chessimprov

Reaction score
I wonder if it could be residue from my oven. It is a self-cleaning oven. I am using the self-cleaning option now, and I think the smell is similar. :( In the manual, it seems to say not to use oven cleaner on the oven, but it has been used in the past.

I don't know what to do besides try cleaning the oven thoroughly to see what happens.

I guess I could also call ac/heating unit workers, oven maintenance worker, or keeping windows closed when calling the gas guy again.

Thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
How many people have smelled the smell and offered an opinion on what it smelled like?

chessimprov

Reaction score
Problem will be solved :) I called gas company again, but this time left porch door and windows closed and not "as I last left them." This did not help the new rep who came in, but he found a leak in one of the rubber pipes of the heating/AC unit. I guess I'm not as crazy as I thought I was getting. I'm only crazy 99.999999% of the time :D

chessimprov

Reaction score
If I'm not keeping up with cleaning my HVAC filter, could the gas line get clogged up, and then rupture the pipe as a result of not keeping up with the cleaning of the filter?

Reach4

Reaction score
This did not help the new rep who came in, but he found a leak in one of the rubber pipes of the heating/AC unit.
I really don't think that your heating unit will have natural gas carried in a rubber pipe.

If I'm not keeping up with cleaning my HVAC filter, could the gas line get clogged up, and then rupture the pipe as a result of not keeping up with the cleaning of the filter?
No.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks