Gasket for old Kohler shower stem

Users who are viewing this thread

tikicarver69

Reaction score
I am rebuilding and old Kohler shower valve.
I bought the bonnet kit because the threads on the bonnet nut were all messed up from some previous repair.

But the bag of parts did not include a gasket
I tried using the old gasket one but I don't think it was the correct part and it leaks.
It is some type of crushable metal, soft tin???
I went to all the local hardware stores and they don't have parts for old valves.

I tried an o-ring, but it seems it is too thick because when I tighten it all up the value just spins and never tightens the valve gasket against the seat. I think that is because the entire stack of parts needs to be compressed together or the barrel on the end just spins.

where can I get the correct gasket?
I'm in Hawaii so will probably have to order on-line

upload_2021-5-1_9-10-27.png

tikicarver69

Reaction score
funny,, I bought the bonnet kit at Ferguson in Honolulu,, the guy said he did not have a gasket for it.

I did find one in my parts box that seems to work. Pays to collect spare parts from pervious jobs, LOL
No leaks now so should be good.
I just don't know why suppliers sell part kits with no gasket....grrh

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks