Gas water heater recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I need a new gas water heater. I asked two plumbers what they recommend and both said Bradford White.

Great that they agree. But the reviews for these water heaters are not so great. My gut tells me that some plumbers recommend this brand because you have to buy them from a pro (technically) so they get the sale and they don't have to compete with a big box on price.

For a variety of reasons I have a strong aversion to anything that can only be purchased from a pro. Someone tell me the truth here. Are Bradford White really better than everything else you can buy? If not is there a consensus best brand? I'm getting a 75-80 gallon tank.

Tankless, heat pump and condensing water heaters are not on the table. Please don't try to convince me.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just checked the Internet for water heater reviews. They are all bad. No good ones at all. A lot of people don't like their water heaters.

I sell Bradford White and the Rheem products from the wholesale locations, not the same product or model numbers that Home Depot sells.
I have had almost nothing go wrong with the stuff I'm picking up that they sell to plumbers. I'm still thinking..........Nope, they all seem good.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bradford White only sells thru wholesale plumbing outlets, to pros, not to HOs. Your two plumbers probably recommended BW because BWs are sold over at their supply houses, where they have their credit accounts.

But that doesn't mean that BWs are superior to other brands.

If you're lucky, you can have a WH from HD, Lowes, Ace or Sears outlasts a BW from a pro.
Much of that depends on other factors, like your water.

Therefore...If you are on a budget, go for the least expensive unit you can find.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Terry, there are lots of water heaters with good reviews (these and many others):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG50T09HE40U0/204698003
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG40T12HE40U0/204697784

dj2 - I am on the opposite of a budget. I want the absolute best water heater I can get and I'm willing to pay whatever it costs.

If the best water heaters are Rheem and Bradford White, after doing more research, I am not in favor of Bradford White. The reason is that many of the complaints people have about BW is that the warranty only covers parts and never labor. Rheem covers labor for three years with their 12 year warranty and labor for one year with their six year warranty. Isn't this a deal breaker for BW?

So looking at Rheem this model seems to have the best specs of all their residential 75 gallon water heaters, including their professional models that can only be purchased from a pro. But it only has the six year warranty. This one seems to have the best specs of their models with the 12 year warranty. They are both the same size but the one with the 12 year warranty weighs 20lb more. Perhaps better materials?

Is there any reason to avoid them?

This is a conundrum because I want the better specs and I want the longer warranty but I can't have both. Guys, if you were deciding between these two Rheem models for your home which would you select? Assume you have a 100+ gallon bathtub.

They are both sold at HD and the higher spec'ed model ($200 more) is in stock at several local stores.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since money is no object...

12 yr warranty means the minimum 6 year warranty plus a 6 year extension (which you pay for when you purchase the WH).

In either case, labor is not covered.

In addition, getting parts under warranty is a lengthy process, meaning you will be without hot water for days.

Knowing all that, go for the WH that meets your needs, and hope it outlasts its warranty, which does happen sometimes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Pro Rheem 75 gallon is an 8 year tank.
I was at Canterwood Estates this week and was looking at an operational 75 gallon Rheem from 2003. That's 15 years and running.

canterwood-16710-1.jpg

Here is a home in that neighborhood that I built in 1986.

Last edited:

uscpsycho

Reaction score
dj2 - Reem 12 year warranty is standard on some models and that includes three years of labor. And some of their water heaters are six years and they include one year of labor. But in all cases, Rheem offers some amount of labor for all their retail water heaters. Bradford White does not and that is what tips the scales in Rheem's favor, in my eyes.

Disturbingly, the professional Rheem water heaters have 8 year standard warranty (which you can upgrade to 12 years) but these do not include any labor. Again, this makes the Pro models less palatable to me.

The first our rating of the ones with the six year warranty bests the one with a 12 year warranty by 23 gallons -- and that one is also ultra low nox. So I guess I'll go with that one. I don't see why it shouldn't outlast the warranty. Where I live now the water heater is more than 20 years old. Is it common for high end water heaters really crap out at the six year mark?

This might be a subject for another thread but is a descaler like this a good investment to protect the water heater and plumbing in general? The reviews at HD and Amazon sound very enthusiastic. SCALE BLASTER SB-75 ScaleBlaster, Black

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just so you know, the plumbers like to buy wholesale and not retail. It adds hundreds to the cost if you're buying from Home Depot.
Also all the supply lines cost a lot more. At the end of the day, the plumbers need to earn their money, and if they can purchase better products for less and work with pro's helping them to load up, it's a way better way for them to do business. Bringing water heaters out to the far reaches of a parking lot, and finding someone inside to help you is a little crazy. I save a lot of time buying where I do. And I write just one check at the end of the month.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Is it common for high end water heaters really crap out at the six year mark?"

- High end or standard, they can all quit after 6-10 years, some even less than 6 yrs, some more than that. It depends on the WH itself, the water that runs thru it and other factors.

"This might be a subject for another thread but is a descaler like this a good investment to protect the water heater and plumbing in general? The reviews at HD and Amazon sound very enthusiastic.
SCALE BLASTER SB-75 ScaleBlaster, Black

- Waste of money.
You can clean your WH by flushing out minerals annually, starting with the first anniversary, and by changing the anode after 3-4 yrs.

"So I guess I'll go with that one. I don't see why it shouldn't outlast the warranty."

Don't overthink this WH selecting process. I have replaced many WHs, some seem to last less than their expected life, some more. It's just a cost of owning a home.

And finally, a word about labor warranty: If you ever need to count on the WH mfg to pay for labor...good luck. They will find a way to deny any claim regarding labor, and they have a few tricks doing so..

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry,
Gorgeous home. I like the vertical siding.

At about that time, late 80s, I built a custom home in a posh neighborhood, with similar 2 sets of huge windows, one over the other. I had to use a steel frame around them and a grade beam at the footing.

SWong

Reaction score
Terry, there are lots of water heaters with good reviews (these and many others):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG50T09HE40U0/204698003
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG40T12HE40U0/204697784

dj2 - I am on the opposite of a budget. I want the absolute best water heater I can get and I'm willing to pay whatever it costs.

If the best water heaters are Rheem and Bradford White, after doing more research, I am not in favor of Bradford White. The reason is that many of the complaints people have about BW is that the warranty only covers parts and never labor. Rheem covers labor for three years with their 12 year warranty and labor for one year with their six year warranty. Isn't this a deal breaker for BW?

So looking at Rheem this model seems to have the best specs of all their residential 75 gallon water heaters, including their professional models that can only be purchased from a pro. But it only has the six year warranty. This one seems to have the best specs of their models with the 12 year warranty. They are both the same size but the one with the 12 year warranty weighs 20lb more. Perhaps better materials?

Is there any reason to avoid them?

This is a conundrum because I want the better specs and I want the longer warranty but I can't have both. Guys, if you were deciding between these two Rheem models for your home which would you select? Assume you have a 100+ gallon bathtub.

They are both sold at HD and the higher spec'ed model ($200 more) is in stock at several local stores.

uscpsycho! I'm one of the reviewers posting on the HD site regarding the XG50T09HE4oUo Rheem 9-year warranteed gas fired hot water heater. I've had mine in service for 13 months now and so far it has been performing flawlessly. Prices have increased approximately $25 since the time I purchased it in May 2017. My failed GE 12-yr warranteed hot water heater (also made by Rheem) was also purchased at HD some 13 years earlier (installed in 2004) cost me $384 so prices have literally almost doubled. I no longer attempt to ever replace the sacrificial anode rods ever as they are impossible to remove after they've been installed and instead I go thru the usual twice a year draining of sediment into a used joint compound pail just to "go thru the motions" as a homeowner. I do however replace my own failed water heater along with using my veterans DD-214 just to save on the taxes when I purchase from HD. Suggestion is to always avoid using HD installation services as they literally gouge you financially. Horror stories include tripling of prices making a $500 water tank almost $1500 for a hours worth of work. Hardest task is getting the new tank home and from there double up with a buddy and you can install it yourself reaping a $1000 in savings. Money saved goes to my "toy fund" along with rewarding my buddy with a lavish meal and drinks at a local pub of his choosing! Only other suggestion is to plan on replacing your old tank every 10-12 years as I've never had any of these tanks last beyond 12 years. BTW, these new tanks are indeed quiet, well insulated, and my gas bills each month reflect this!

uscpsycho

Reaction score
It blows my mind that these water heaters are crapping out so fast. I've lived in the place I'm moving out of for over 20 years. I have no idea how old the water heater was when I moved in but the same one is going strong after 20+ years. In my new house the warranty on the water heater that was there expired in 2013 and it was going strong when it was removed in 2015. The new one was in stalled last week and I hope it lasts as long!

Reach4

Reaction score
It blows my mind that these water heaters are crapping out so fast.
I agree. It has to have something to do with the water.

Incidentally, the gas valves have a date code. Few gas valves get replaced by themselves.

pcunite

Reaction score
It blows my mind that these water heaters are crapping out so fast.

I've been doing research on water heaters. The conclusion I've reached is to only buy stainless steel models, or if you require glass lined with an anode (because of water chemistry), it should be of the powered anode type. Following this will curb most of the engineered to fail designs.

The short list of models to buy based on this:
  • AO Smith Effex GAHH-40
  • HTP Phoenix PH76-50
  • American Water PG10-34-100-2NV
  • Westinghouse WGRGH20NG100F
The nice thing is that most of these are also of the continuous hot water capability. Imagine that, having hot water gallon after gallon.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Interesting. In all the research I did, I don't think I saw anything which would have led me to exclusively consider stainless steel models. I did not get a stainless steel tank but I'm actually having a powered anode rod installed on Tuesday. If they work as advertised, I don't know why there aren't 1000 websites singing their virtues and advising people to use them.

I still couldn't use any of the ones you mentioned. Maybe the smaller ones come in larger sizes but the models you mentioned wouldn't work for me.

AO Smith Effex GAHH-40 - too small
HTP Phoenix PH76-50 - looks like it might be a condensing or heat pump water heater (not practical for me)
American Water - too small
Westinghouse - condensing water heater

I'm not sure what you mean by continuous hot water capability, I believe they all have limited first hour ratings.

Reach4

Reaction score
HTP Phoenix PH76-50 - looks like it might be a condensing or heat pump water heater (not practical for me)
http://www.htproducts.com/literature/Phoenix-LD-Brochure.pdf says "Removable Condensate Cartridge System with built-in Condensate Neutralizer (patents pending)".

I don't know what "removable" means here. Can you remove it, and just choose to release acidic condensate, or is it remove-to-replace with a new patented proprietary neutralizing cartridge? Kinda like an HP Inkjet cartridge is removable? :rolleyes:

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Removable in the sense it can be replaced. All water heaters with condensate cartridges have to be replaced on a regular basis because they have a limited life.

Reach4

Reaction score
Removable in the sense it can be replaced. All water heaters with condensate cartridges have to be replaced on a regular basis because they have a limited life.
You can have condensate without a cartridge. A PVC drain system would have no problem with unneutralized condensate. Are you saying that condensate neutralizing cartridges are common? Furnaces would have more condensate production in colder areas.

I don't know about cast iron.

Last edited:

pcunite

Reaction score
I'm actually having a powered anode rod installed on Tuesday.

AO Smith Effex GAHH-40 - too small
American Water - too small

I'm not sure what you mean by continuous hot water capability, I believe they all have limited first hour ratings.

Good to hear about the powered anode. Please report your success over the years. If you're up to doing this, you can buy other AO Smith models, the size and output you need, and change the anode type. Regarding the American Water brand I mentioned, yes they make a larger model.

When I say continuous, I mean that they have been designed, for the most part, to run 4gpm forever. That is never ending hot water for most people. When you exceed this, they can recover very quickly.

Wraujr

Reaction score
Had a plumber put in a 50 gallon BW gas normal venting about 6 years ago and its doing fine (of course this post will jinx it). At that time many plumbers on this website and others were recommending BW. Had them leave off the heat traps as these seem to occasionally cause trouble.
It replaced an 18-yo AO Smith that had split open. Your mileage may vary.
As far as warranty, it is my understanding that no matter what warranty you get... its the same water heater, no diff in construction, etc... Paying
for a longer warranty on a water heater is just like buying an extended service contract. Manufacturers use mathematical analysis and historical data to determine reliability and product life, they then calculate warranty costs. They give a warranty that they believe still allows them to make money after warranty loses. Don't expect that a longer warranty implies different quality or construction.
For example, Costco used to sell Kirkland batteries, made by same mfgr as Interstate. Costco gave great warranty but the battery was identical in design/construction to the Interstate sold at local auto parts...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks