Gas water heater. Noticed a small leak

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidKr

Reaction score
I have a 1999 75 Gallon AO Smith, noticed a small leak.

Anyways, I price them, $959 shipped for an FCG-75 AO Smith. Call a plumber for an estimate, $2,800, same unit (FCG-75). I mean, I'm all for paying good money to have someone do this, but it seems everytime I get a quote for something I'd rather not spend the time on, I feel like I'm being gouged and end up doing it myself.

Just asking, assuming replacing some copper pipe cutting and sweating, maybe a valve, no gas fitting, pick up new, haul away old, and $40 permit, is $2,800 gouging for a 75 gallon replace? Or am I just a cheapskate?

Phog

Reaction score
That sounds high and you might do better if you get other quotes. But, consider that this isn't necessarily as straight forward a swap as you might think. Water heaters have grown in size since 1999 so your connections aren't necessarily just plug-and-play. Particularly the flue may need significant reconfiguration. There also may be new code requirements such as expansion tank or thermal mixing valve that the plumber is including in the price. And just because you see a tank price online doesn't mean your local plumbing supply house sells to plumbers for that same low price. Finally consider you're not just paying the plumber for on site labor, they have overhead like insurance etc. Shop around for sure though, you might find big differences. Just make sure you know what's included in each quote so you're comparing apples to apples. Good luck

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doing it yourself will save you money on labor - if you can do it all, including removing the old WH and placing the new one in place.
You know your limits, and if you have to hire any part of the installation process, you may not save any money.

Is this plumber the only plumber in town? If not, get additional estimates.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pricing is all over the map. I asked at my local Costco how much their AO Smith water heaters were installed and was surprised at how low I was in comparison. Maybe I haven't been charging enough if they are getting that much for the install.

DavidKr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I saw Costco had a display, and wish I quoted them, but I had already bought an AO Smith ProLine Gas 75Gal for $1,060 shipped. Also, the 1st quote would have had $200 tax added to it, so almost $3,000, that just put me in DIY mode. I.E., I didn't want to waste anyone in the trades time. For me not to DIY it, I would pay $500 over materials/fees, and I just didn't think that was going to happen, given that they have to pick the the unit up, get rid of the old, pay for the estimate time...etc.

I have never done any copper soldering before, but have done extensive electronics soldering.

Notes:

1. Install time was about 5 hours, after install, I had one hissing joint on the hot end, out of about 15 total joints, a terrible sound. I had to redo one side on a few joints, and, pulling the hissing joint apart, there was no solder on 15% of the fitting, so it was at least explainable. My solder probably looks awful to a plumber.

2. This does not include, probably, 8 hours of learning, which I actually enjoy. I.E. Youtube videos, then reading comments as to what every Youtuber does wrong by people in the trade , looking at forums (this one mainly).

3. Total cost was $1,200 with the permit/landfill fee/expendable supplies, and then another $200 for reusable parts like a dolly, map gas kit, cutter, reamer, prep brush...etc. I have a walk out basement, I might not have attempted if I didn't have that, the water heater is almost 300lbs.

4. I leak tested the gas, and did the exhaust test with a match with all the bath fans running and the heater running, no issues.

5. When I took the fittings off the old water heater, apparently they had soldered the cup close to the plastic tube in the water heater. I'd guess a 25% blockage on both sides, it was melted very badly, maybe 3/4 inch down. I had saw on Youtube to not solder near the cup, and put a wet rag around the cup if your in proximity to the cup, which I followed that advice as well for caution.

6. I hooked it up just like the old one was, hoping the inspection goes OK.

Anyways, i really appreciate this forum and the support for DIYers from people in the trades.

Cheers!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks