TylerG

Reaction score
IMG-3799.JPG
IMG-3800.JPG
IMG-3801.JPG
IMG-3829.JPG
IMG-3831.JPG

Hello All,

I am currently in the process of closing on a house, and the appraiser wouldn't sign off until the vent for a gas water heater was repaired. We were planning on doing this repair anyway after we got the house, because, as you can see in the photos, it was a laughable diy job that someone tried to do, and I am surprised it hasn't killed anyone.

We repaired it, but was wondering if it is up to par. We are by no means professionals, but we have verified it is functioning and pulling the hot air through. From what I have seen, they may have problems with that chute going through that wall, it is not a real 3 inch wall or anything like that, just a piece of plywood and drywall. We may also need a heat shield at the ceiling. I figured some pro's can point me in the right direction.

The appraiser was also wanting it inspected before he signs off, and I was wondering what I should expect someone to charge for an inspection on the heater, so I don't get ripped off.

Don't mind the corrosion and kinks in the water lines, I plan on replacing those in the near future, just satisfying the appraiser for now.

Thanks for any help

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here we need clearances to anything flammable. so that flex pipe going thru the wall wouldn't pass. A vent thimble would have to be used. Not sure if flex vent is approved in your area. Also is it the proper flex vent. Dryer flex vent is different

TylerG

Reaction score
Here we need clearances to anything flammable. so that flex pipe going thru the wall wouldn't pass. A vent thimble would have to be used. Not sure if flex vent is approved in your area. Also is it the proper flex vent. Dryer flex vent is different

It is the proper type of flex hose. I'll see about getting a thimble installed, would I need anything at the ceiling?

Thanks for the help

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your flex hose is single-wall. your single wall MUST HAVE A 6" STANDOFF FROM ALL FLAMMABLE MATERIAL. Where it penetrates the wall, cut the hole bigger and use sheet metal to make a sleeve.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

good advice. I would suggest hard-piping, but I know homeowners sometimes struggle with that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks