Gas water heater exhaust roar - some louder than others?

Users who are viewing this thread

packardv8

Reaction score
Our Bradford-White 65gal CombiCore heater failed a pinhole leak in the bottom of the tank and I had to temporarily install a 55gal Whirlpool while the B-W was being ordered.

In the same position, on the same exhaust ducting, the Whirlpool burner exhaust is noticeably louder than the B-W.

Our gas/electric utility has a $300 incentive to convert electric water heaters to gas. My daughter's small home has two electric water heaters; one radiant floor, one domestic. I'd thought of moving this spare Whirlpool over, adding a second and hoped to reduce her monthly utility bill.

However, the water heaters are in a utility space just off the kitchen where the exhaust noise of this Whirlpool would be objectionable and two that loud running at once would be a deal breaker.

Bottom line - why was the B-W with a larger burner less noisy than the Whirlpool? Are there any quieter gas water heaters?

jack vines

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a good question, and perhaps someone has a answer. Someone that has worked with and installed both brands.
I normally just install two brands, so I'm no help there. I do remove all brands. :)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The answer may be the burner size. I've never paid that much attention to exhaust noises.

packardv8

Reaction score
I've never paid that much attention to exhaust noises.
Neither did I until I replaced the BW and noticed how much louder the Whirlpool was. In most newer homes, the water heater is locked away in a closet far from the living space. In both these older homes, the exhaust noise is/would be audible.

jack vines

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks