Gas Water Heater Exhaust Ducting Fire Prevention

Users who are viewing this thread

DEK

Reaction score
My 40 gallon gas water heater is located in my basement. It has Selkirk Type B, 4 inch exhaust ducting going up inside an insulated wall between my family room and garage and out through the garage ceiling. My understanding is that these ducts require a minimum of one inch away from any combustibles. Is this correct?

If yes, is fiberglass insulation considered combustible? If yes, how to I insulate the wall in the photo and still keep the insulation away from the duct? Or is it okay to allow the insulation to touch the duct?

Thank you,
Don

Attachments

• IMG_20230502_161304381_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230502_161304381_HDR.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 76

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Yes, 1" min. clearance to combustibles and with proper clamps to maintain the 1". Fiberglass without backing paper is not flammable and fine for contact.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it were me, most of that stud bay would stay uninsulated. If anything maybe a portion of it would get insulated but you'd need another piece of wood to keep it from moving.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks