Gas valve next to electrical outlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
i have a gas valve a couple inches away from a electrical outlet for the stove....is this normally against code? I'm in NY

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightwave

Reaction score
Under the NEC you're required to maintain clearance (IIRC 3') between all electrical equipment and any gas devices that may vent gas as part of their normal operation. Devices that may release gas include gas meters and gas pressure reducers but probably does not include valves.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Consult the AHJ for a definitive answer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It does NOT include gas valves because the only way they could "vent" gas would be if the valve were defective and in that case it makes not difference how far it is from the electrical outlet because ANYTHING else, even the stove itself, could set off an explosion or fire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks