Gas pressure test

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshp58

Reaction score
What's the consensus on what psi to pressure test new gas lines? I've read anywhere from 6psi to 30psi, so what is the standard? I have a gas tester that goes up to 15psi and I'm testing it at 6 psi now. Do I need to test at 15psi? What is the actual code on testing?

Joshp58

Reaction score
Update-I tested the system at 6psi and had no loss when I checked on it 30 minutes later. According to the international fuel code it passes. My local code has no amendments to that. 2 hours later I was down to about 5.25psi. I test at 530pm in Texas and it is very hot. 2 hours later the temperature had changed but not too much. I took the tester off, turned on the gas, purged the line, closed the valves, and took one of those gas detector wands (bought at lowes) over the whole thing. The wand did not show any leaks at all. I'm guessing it could have been the tester fastened to the pipe that caused the drop. However, I'm still concerned. Wand showed no leaks and the test passed by code. Am I ok? Or are those wand leak detectors faulty?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you're okay on that. Another way to check is to mix soap with water in a spray bottle and hit the fittings with it. If bubbles show up, it's a leak.

Joshp58

Reaction score
Thanks! Tightened up the connection to the gauge and it's held 7psi for a few days now. Should be good to go!

Also, this site is phenomenal; thanks for the responses!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks